ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5WPL

W5WPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there someone in the Houston / Pearland Tx. area that can Elmer me in antenna design and theory ? Have the ARRL antenna book. But I have so many questions to ask. And I don't want to take up space on the forum.
    73s
    W5WPL

2. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

WPL -

I too love antennas, I design them, build them, experiment...
    I am not in Houston, but I recommend a website that can help answer a lot of your questions: www.cebik.com

W4RNL (SK) was one of the giants in antenna design, and his site is a lasting tribute with hundreds of great articles. I've learned volumes off of it. Going through his site is like having an expert antenna elmer there 24/7 to ask questions.

True, there is nothing like having an elmer who can help you answer questions one on one, but don't be afraid to post questions here or in the Homebrew forum. There are a LOT of experienced people here who browse the forums looking to help, even what seem like "noob" questions.

Just my two cents and enjoy many years learning about antennas!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  3. KL2LK

KL2LK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry about taking up space on the board. It's helpful to all of us to see your questions, and the answers you receive. Some of the greatest (AKA borderline insane) minds are trolling these boards looking for questions to answer. What you have here, is the knights of the electric table. They look to guide the next generation in the mystical art of the radio.

(That got drawn out :) )

4. W5WPL

Here we go again ! Question " What is the difference between a dipole and a G5RV " I think I'll go and lie down.

G0GQK

This is why I don't like asking questions on the forum.
    Jerks like this.

5. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill it would appear that G0GQK deleted his post. :rolleyes:

This is a "FORUM" which IMO means if you have a question then post it and wait for the replies.

However Bill you make a good point. I rarely post but I read a lot of threads. It always amazes me how some "Amateurs" can flame a fellow Amateur for simply asking a question. I always thought that the idea of being a Ham was to help out new Hams when they have questions or problems. Apparently some people think that is not what they should do, rather they should make rude comments.

Not everyone gets their ticket and becomes an instant antenna Guru. We all know that you can read a book to see how to build antennas. However that does not always apply to each and every one of our situations. I have been an Amateur since 1992 (not a long time by some standards) and I am still learning. Many times I have built an antenna by the books and found it just would not work for me. Heights, etc all come into play when dealing with HF antennas of any sort.

We learn by doing. We also learn by asking. Rude replies have no place on this forum.

Bill I would suggest that you keep asking questions here. Ignore the jerks and idiots and read the posts from people who really want to help.

Go to Google and search for Amateur Radio Antennas, wire antennas, etc. You will be amazed at what you will find.
    I have found some great hints and tips at this site http://www.ac6v.com/
    Also this site is helpful http://www.hamuniverse.com/ and Don N4UJW is a great guy who is willing to answer questions.

Good Luck and ignore the jerks ;)

73 de Rick VE3FMC

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  6. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is ....there are MANY type of antennas, each with advantages and disavantages. What you want to do, is the first question. Unfortunately, many new hams do not know what they want to do. This was one of my first learning problems. After defining the situation (what band(s) frequencies....) the next thing is to assess the physical limitations, i.e. do you live on a farm or in a high-rise apartment or a small yard? After you determine these factors...we can more specifically address your questions. After choosing whether to use a resonant (dipole) antenna or a non-resonant (end-fed long wire), you will need a good (RF) ground. The ground is the "other half " of the antenna. The transmission line (coaxial cable, ladder line or single wire is then determined. After that, the matching device tuner/transmatch) is acqured, if necessary. Almost any problem can be overcome. For instance...I reside in a 16 story aprartment building,,on the top floor. My first thought was: how am I going to provide a saisfactory RF ground, Easy, In my case. The radio cabinet is within five (5) feet of the central air-conditioning access door (that hold the filter) It is grounded throughout the system by copper pipe. I use an alligator clip to the metal bracket behing the door. Removed before the maintenance guysarrives to change the filter. I have been reading about antenna since 1938 and still do not have ALL the answers. There is a lot of hype aboout manufactured antennas. The specifications are written by their sales department...not their engineering department. 73 Joe W4CBJ

7. W5WPL

This what I thought about doing. Three band dipole with legs for 40,20 and 10 meters. Use the tuner for 30,17,15, and 12. Can put it 30 ft. up. Have room to run the wires 50 ft. down to the fence. Put a balun on it . I can run a ground from rig to a ground rod outside of the shack( about 7 ft.) Is this sound? Or should I just tune up the chain link fence.
    73s
    W5WPL

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

::What would work better, not require the tuner, and take up no more space at all (nor really cost any more money to build) would be a parallel dipole for 40-30-20-17-20 meters. You don't need elements for 15 meters, as the 40 meter wires will be resonant on 15m as well. It will require a bit of adjustment, but only at the wire "end points," so if you have access to those, so you can experiment with length of each set of wires, within a few hours you'll have it all "tuned up" and good to go -- and then it won't even need a tuner. You can feed it with coax and a balun, just fine. The ground is fine, too, although the ground has nothing to do with making an antenna work.

Otherwise, if you want a "simpler" antenna that requires no field adjustment at all but does definitely require a tuner, just try a 66' long doublet (resonant on 40m), fed with 450 Ohm window (ladder) line, no balun, and a good tuner in the shack. In this case, you'd want to bring the 450 Ohm line all the way into the shack, to the tuner.

If you feed your original proposed design with coax and a balun, and use a tuner to try to get it to work on the non-resonant bands, you can encounter huge feedline and balun losses. Of all the possible approaches, that would be the worst.

WB2WIK/6

9. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

One thing I have noticed is a few people post a terse response but don't thoroughly describe why that is the case. WB2WIK is very good at explaining his answers and thus I hold a great deal of confidence in them and his knowledge and experience. Some other people might tell me, "just use a fan dipole in your attic" and not give much other info. To a newbie, that appears to be a little intimidating to build, raises a bunch of questions because coming from a CB background, I never attached 4 or 5 antennas to the same feed...

A better solution when "feeding" these newbies like myself is to start basic like find out what attic size they have, then recommend a super simple solution like erect a solo 20m dipole first and run coax cable (no balun yet, too confusing for newbies). Tell them a good way to tune up the 20m dipole and tell them things to do like keep the center away from obstructions and make sure the ends are not near anything flammable and things not to do like dont fold the corners over too much if possible...

Then as a 2nd step, tell them to add say a 15m dipole and fan it and recheck their 20m setup.

When you give newbies only 1 "simple" thing to do at a time, they can better "digest" what is going on. Also remember that many of them are coming from a CB background and are used to monoband vertical monopoles so many of the typical amateur setups are new to them (they were to me).

I have been learning a lot here and have been reading my ARRL Antenna Book at night and every few pages I read are interesting and I let that "soak in" rather than try to cram in as much as possible.

It is great posting questions and ideas here because there are tons of very smart experienced and helpful people who more than counteract the sarcastic ones.

10. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

to elmer some one on antenna design, would take 30 or 40 years
    to get it right.

either buy ready made antennas or take an antenna book
    and copy one of the examples, then make changes if you are not satisfied with the results.
    you will learn from trial and error,, not from some one telling you the same thing
    you are reading in the books.
    25 years ago the internet wasn't here for
    quick satisfaction of a question. all the hams back then
    read and experimented.

just try it.... there are only a couple of parameters you can change.

don't ask so many abstract questions.

experiment.................................................................

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.