ad: cq2k-1

Antennas VS wives

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by US7IGN, Sep 8, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

In many topics about antennas, wives are often remembered, who are against antennas in particular and radio in general. What is the reason? Can they somehow justify why they are against the antenna? Against a big beautiful antenna? My wife always helped to assemble and mount our antennas. She was even proud of our largest antenna ever. And she liked the reaction of the guests -

SA6CKE, N3RYB, K0UO and 3 others like this.
  2. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I borrow your wife for awhile please?
    Send her over by Aeroflot and when antenna is finished I promise I'll send her back, undamaged.....Thanks in Advance OM

SA6CKE, K0UO, W2AI and 1 other person like this.
  3. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife just wishes I'd get this 70' Universal tower up in the air. It's been blocking the driveway for months!

KG4RRH, SA6CKE, K0UO and 3 others like this.
  4. US7IGN

Sorry friend, but no. I'm afraid she won't want to come back. Of course, I understand that your government prefers (cut out by censorship due to intolerant expressions) immigrants from outside Europe to educated white women, but still there is a chance ...

5. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

Because over here from around 1970-on, people were raised with the idea of the big house, manicured lawn, with the white picket fence. Antenna's don't in fit that image.
    Another hobby I have that falls into similar category is auto repair. If you have a hot rod around the house it's cool, but if you have some beaters around it isn't. It isn't a good image to have several cars hanging around the house. Especially if they aren't in running condition. But the reward in getting a car back to running condition is just as rewarding as a making a contact off your own radio station. I usually only keep one car around now for fixing, get rid of it, and on to the next one.

K4PP

WD4ELG, N4CKC and US7IGN like this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Only a matter of time before the pro-HOA hawks to be descending on this thread.......

WA9SVD likes this.
  7. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a pretty risky thread, OM. Bon courage!

Speaking for myself, the only way we could get a good, tall antenna into our small garden was to erect a 10-metre pole. We have no tall trees or other supports. My wife hated the idea, and actually so did I, because it would have been directly in front of our living room French Windows. I thought it would be beautiful. But for some reason, I can also switch on a little filter that lets me see what non-hams see and by gawd, it was horrible.

Eventually I gave up, partly because it would have required official planning permission from the authorities, and this was almost certain to be refused.

So I compromised. The antenna is the same (40m full wire dipole) but it is "up" only 4 metres, with the centre point fixed to a thin guy rope instead of a shiny aluminium pole.

Guess what: I am able to make QSOs even with this, and even with my very modest rig. Having a lot of fun!

73 de Martin, G3EDM

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    WA9SVD likes this.
  8. W2AI

The advent of Cable TV made that anti-antenna thought possible.

K4PP and N1VAU like this.
  9. W2AI

WD6USA likes this.
  10. US7IGN

I'm really interested in what the wives say, who are against antennas.

What could be more beautiful than the sight of your own large mast with a large antenna?

This is really a problem. But we can just as well ban the Eiffel Tower and the towers of mobile operators.

W2AI likes this.