ad: k1jek

ANTENNAS HF and NVIS Communications .... only for the Military?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Jan 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the post. I was trained to set my antenna up like that for NVIS on the hummer. I was the go to person for all things HF.

I got a medal for building a JPole UHF antenna out of plumbing material while deployed, there was shortage of UHF antennas in the system. The other ground radio people in the field swore up and down it would not work. They were very surprise when they saw the SWR readings and performance.

I maintain UHF/VHF TRC-176, Harris HF radios, Motorola repeaters/handhelds and SATCOM systems.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    N1BED likes this.
  2. KK0O

KK0O Ham Member QRZ Page

For the most part, at least the US Military doesn't work at those frequencies; it's usually between 30-80Mhz, then uhf/vhf. This is why many folks in the military are trained to set up retrans sites, basically simplex repeaters using two radios and a basic configuration.
    Someone posted the antenna being bent over a vehicle; that's so the antenna doesn't clip trees and electric lines, it doesn't have anything to do with NVIS.

WG7X likes this.
  3. ON9AID

ON9AID Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it is a backpack radio but I mentioned the manual as reference. This radio could be attached to a vehicle.
    In any case, take a look to the following link because it is explained clearly the purpose of NVIS.
    https://www.hamuniverse.com/nvisbeam.html