Antennae for HT?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WANNABHAM2, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Only somebody who knows nothing about antennas would buy that.
    The picture on ebay isn't a dual band J-pole. It looks like a 2 meter one.
    If that is the case then the radiation pattern on 440 would be useless.
    If you wanted a J-pole you could make one for way less than $30.

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  3. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

Yep, that's me! I really really need an Elmer!! Anybody on here from the Corvallis, OR area:)

4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not trying to rain on your parade but that antenna is not designed for mobile use (unless you meant portable use where you might set up your gear on the trail or at the beach, etc).

While a lot of new hams gravitate towards j-poles one could be better off with a less finicky antenna such as a 1/4 wave ground plane and easily made with 5 pieces of stiff wire (19.5" long or so) soldered to a SO-239 panel mount connector. Easy to tune, mount on a pole or hang from a tree branch and will radiate well, less common mode current on the feed line, etc. Might cost all of five dollars in parts if you have a soldering gun/iron and know how to solder.

Consider QRZ your group of Elmers until you find one or more locally. (search for amateur radio clubs+Corvalis).

Btw, one last minor point: antennae are for insects, antennas are what you ask about that hams use:)

73, (best regards abbreviation)

Jeff

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh?

That is not a HT antenna. That is a base station J-Pole antenna.

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in Oregon but not near Corvallis. So you most likely would want (since you are using a handheld and it is not a permanent installation) a mag mount with an NMO connector on the mag mount itself. Then you would want a dual band mobile antenna that fits an NMO mount. Then to adapt the coax coming from the mag mount to your handheld you will need a PL 259 to ?? adapter. I'm guessing your handheld has an SMA antenna connector but unknown if it is male or female that is the reason for my ?? Here is a suggestion. It might be worth your while to drive an hour and a half to the HRO store in Portland. Take your handheld with you and explain what you want to do. They will help you I am sure. And FWIW I have found that while there are some decent ham radio items to be found on ebay there is also a lot of junk and a lot of stuff which claims to do a certain thing but doesn't. Good luck

NH7RO and WANNABHAM2 like this.
  7. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

[​IMG]

And my apologies to all! To be clear, I did mean portable as in, I want to have an antenna to take to parks and drives up in the hills. I printed off a copy of all the Oregon repeaters that are listed and will carry in my go bag. Appreciate all the help.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 12:57 AM
  8. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

OK so it looks like the adapter from the PL 259 at the end of your mag mount will need to be an SMA female. Easy to find on line or at HRO.

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  9. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

(Note: my post below was written as Wannabham2 was posting his added comment above)

That looks like an SMA connector, so you will need an adapter to fit one end of the coax you might be planning to run to a mobile or external antenna. Be careful of stiff coax (like LMR-400 which is low loss at VHF/UHF but very stiff) when attaching to your fragile mount on the HT. A short jumper or run of RG8X should be fine to something outside or mounted on your car).

What sort of use do you envision? Mobile, as in your car while on the road or fixed, as inside your home? That would help with any recommendations from us.

Jeff

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  10. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I use a small pigtail jumper in your case with an SMA female on one end and whatever matches the coax feed to my antenna (e.g. SO-239, Female N connector) between a handheld like that and the heavier gauge coax feed line to the antenna. IOW, a short jumper made from RG-400, RG-316 or even RG-174. It increases losses a bit but is good in terms of protecting the relatively fragile SMA connector on your HT.

WANNABHAM2 and NH7RO like this.