Antenna Tuning - Rules and Ethics

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KM4LDX, Jan 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not illegal to tune up and/or test as long as it is done legally on a clear frequency with proper i.d..
    A good practice is to make a log of the manual antenna tuner's settings for quick future adjustment.
    Best practice is to use an antenna analyst to find these settings initially and not use a transmitter to do so.
    Might also consider a time of day when the band is vacant i.e. 2AM

2. KM4HGU

KM4HGU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have all my band tuning profiles written down. So when I change bands I can pre set the tuner. Then all it takes is one very short blast of CW to check it. And usually it's done. if it's off just a tad, It's just another short blast to tune up. Full time spent blastin CW on air, about 4 seconds.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

When you get right down to it, we could replace all the rules with just 4 words,

Don't be a jagoff.

Rege

AC0OB and ND6M like this.
  4. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the endless whistling counting to 5 or 4...4 .444 or other iterations sounds like you run a courteous Amateur Station.A carrier is a carrier cw or am if u have to, a zero beat and then a quick check to see if your on frequency works.Logging of tuning settings is pretty handy trusting an autotuner,is like asking Stevie wonder to drive you home cause he didn't drink at the party.

5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Pick yer favorite net and have at it. On JT65, I can pick free spot (I hope) to tune.