Antenna Tuner for QRP, and then Yaesu FT-857D

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK6WPX, May 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6WPX

KK6WPX Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a 40m QRP ssb radio. I am currently in the market for an Antenna Tuner that can handle QRP(5w) and later handle a full 100w from the 857D.

Any suggestions on a tuner that is build "Ford Tough"?

I have been eyeballing the MFJ 849, 841, and the 904 mainly for the fact that they have swr meters and bypass switch.

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I like my MFJ-971. Smaller size than the 949 or 941, will handle 200 watts, and has the dual needle meter. No bypass switch, but you can add one in about 5 minutes. Search Youtube for the video.

KK6WPX likes this.
  3. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

The LDG tuner that I have works very well for the 857d down to 10 watts of transmitter output. I am not sure what the low power cutoff level is, or how easy it would be to use with my ancient qrp radio. Your post got me thinking! So tough this early in the morning.

Chuck

KG7LEA and KF5RHI like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be counter-intuitive but recognize that small, low power rated tuners inherently can have more loss which is the last thing you want when using qrp.
    The lower the power, the 'bigger' the tuner should be.

W5TTP likes this.
  5. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a RT100/RC100 remote autotuner to eliminate feedline losses due to SWR. I run QRP CW all the time.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KK6WPX

The 971 is another one I have been thinking about. Have you had any problems with it? I see that it gets a lot of good reviews, but there are some people that say its junk.

I guess I am just trying to save a buck here. The 971 is about $120usd. The 949, and 941 are only like $50 more. The only difference would be the built in dummy loads and bypass switch (which I am sure I can add to the 971).

8. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a tiny little MFJ travel tuner that works well if your radio has a built in SWR meter. I use it on the desk in my shack just because it takes up a lot less space than the big 941E I was using.

9. KK6WPX

I should add that the built in swr meter is a must!

10. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be a nice addition for smaller radios that don't have them. There are several designs for SWR "indicators" out there that use an LED to tell you when you have tuned for lowest SWR. I want to build one into my little tuner one day.