Antenna switches

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K9STH, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People are always looking for a good antenna switch. Yesterday I obtained a Bird model 74 switch. This switch uses type "N" connectors and is good up to 10 GHz (10,000 MHz). The switching mechanism is quite unusual in that the entire "guts" rotate and move the actual center connection to the type "N" male connectors from position to position. There are a total of 6 positions available and the isolation is at least 75 dB.

Unfortunately, the price of these switches is astronomical being in the range of $1000 new and $600 from Internet sources. However, I have seen them occasionally available from individual amateur radio operators at $100 or less.

For anyone who needs a really good antenna switch I would recommend looking around for a Bird model 74 (they have been in production for decades and are still in production today).

Glen, K9STH

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Imogene and her patch panel?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And reruns of Laugh In!

Glen, K9STH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Bird 74s also.

You have to warn people about the "pull out, rotate, push in" operation. If you need to switch stuff "quickly" like a regular switch, these won't do that. They also cannot be motor driven like some switches.

I had some extra 74s and advertised them for $125/ea here on QRZ.com about a year ago. They went quickly.

WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.