ad: ProAudio-1

Antenna Standoff Arm ideas for a ROHN HBX 40 FT Tower

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA4QFL, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA4QFL

WA4QFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Been using a ROHN HBX 40 ft Tower with 4 element beam for at least 25 years. Would like to hang a 40 meter Inverted V off the top section of tower. Today there are no Leg Antenna (inverted V) Standoff Arms made for this OLD TOWER. The legs are not round have 3 sides to them at about 70 degree angle. The outside edge (middle section) of each three sided leg is about 3/4 inch wide at center at the upper most section. Would like to get ideas on attaching a Standoff Arm of some type to the Tower that extends out 3 feet or more from side of tower. Would hang Inverted V off a pulley at end of Standoff Arm with rope attached that reaches bottom of tower so could pull up Inverted V to about 32 or 33 ft. ANY IDEAS?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't matter that the legs are formed steel and not tubing, or how they're made.

I always just get a length of heavy duty aluminum angle stock from Home Depot ($10), line it up with two of the tower legs (of any shape or form), mark just outside the leg dimensions on the angle stock using a market, drill holes for U-bolts (like muffler clamps or similar) and bind the angle stock to two tower legs using two U-bolts. Doesn't matter if the U-bolts go around tubing or the formed legs of the HBX, as long as they go around it.

At the other end of the angle stock I drill a hole to mount a pulley, to pull up a rope supporting the center insulator of the inverted vee. Total cost almost nothing and total "work" is about 15 minutes.:)

If you look really carefully you can see my own aluminum angle-stock supported 80/160m inverted vee sticking out from the side of my tower just below the top. In my case, the angle stock is about 40" long overall but about 16" are parallel to the tower and some length extends out the back (unused) side, so the inverted vee is supported only about 18" from the tower -- which is plenty far enough.

[​IMG]