ad: k1jek

Antenna question

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Jul 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have dropped the line from the pole to the house in the past. Even with the shorter antenna's I used to get into the system, so I dropped the cable from the side of the house and burried it out to the tree 25 feet away, then run up the tree and the cable goes to the pole from there.
    This time as a test I dropped ALL the cable and it made no difference.
    I was getting into the main feed in the street.

2. N2DTS

I found out that the G5RV with the window line really changes swr in the rain.
    I find it a pain to have to tune the antenna so often, every band change, rain or dry, resetting things (presetting) is impossible.

I think its from the window line (I have been told) so I have two choices, put the 80/40 meter fan dipole up with loading coils in the 80 meter part to
    get the length to 100 feet and away from the CATV main feed, OR, make some open wire line for the G5RV that is better in the wet and still have to tune the thing.
    I am leaning to the 80/40 meter dipole, no tune on those bands....

3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I used neon sign GTO, 15 KV, No. 14 wire for my 80/40 fan. It resonated WAY too low, likely caused by the thick insulation and had to hack several feet off each end to bring it up into the respective bands. I used this cable as I have lots of trees and hope it will be enough to avoid setting the foilage on fire when I can finally get around to run full strap. I'm probably the only idiot to use this type wire. Its HEAVY too!

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd save the neon sign wire for HV leads in transmitter projects, and use zip cord or #14 plastic covered solid wire from Home Cheapo for antenna wire.

5. KA4KOE

Too late Don. It's in the air and the trees have not combusted. Typical Double E over doing it on my part.

6. N2DTS

That stuff is expensive!

I have run regular insulated wire into tree's and run high power without fire...

7. KA4KOE

I got it at a discount AND they threw in an extra 100' for free. Ebay is NOT the place. Well, I tend to overdo things. It's a sickness, I'm afraid.

8. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Could very well be. Any OWL has to be dealt with carefully, it's main disadvantage. "Window line" has it's additional quirks. But the benefits of any OWL outweigh that extra bit of work. The G5RV can be great, but it really needs to truly be high and clear to work very well. I find the simple fan, coax fed with a good choke balun, and tuned properly is the best dual band option with the least amount of headache and consistent operation. May not have the gain or lower loss as other solutions, but dipoles and doublets have always served me very well.

I realize you're experimenting Brett, but you always put in a good signal to me regardless. Heck ... even heard the little SDR's on low power fine and dandy!

One of things with cable companies is the use of contractors for installations. The dumb knuckleheads leave open lines all over the place, almost always unterminated. In my house the cable was showing noise on my network analyzer on the line just 5dB below the signal, a crazy high noise floor. Clearly, RFI egress is a huge problem and is systemic. Just on the pole outside my house there are seven coax bundles just tied off to the pole, all connected to the pole splitter and unterminated, all from cancelled installations on the block dating back probably decades. They never remove the old cables or terminate open ones when somebody moves or cancels cable. They just cut the old and add new ones. Some houses have five cable lines running from the poles, even though only one is being used. It's a total rats nest. In my temporary apartment I just got FiOS and fiber. Will move that to the house when the house is rebuilt.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  9. N2DTS

I took the G5RV down and put up a fan dipole, trimmed it and got the swr on 80 and 40 meters down to nothing.
    It got twisted up in about 10 minutes and shorted out.

I took the 40 meter part off.
    I may be able to put a 40 meter dipole up in another spot.

10. N2DTS

Got a nice 40 meter dipole up, no swr over the entire band!
    So I have dipoles for 80 and 40, plus the zero 5 40 foot ground plane antenna on the roof.

Both dipoles are at 1.3 to 1 or lower dry or in the rain.
    Both are coax fed, nothing but wire and coax with no tuna.