Antenna Question

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ4PTA, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4PTA

KJ4PTA Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to buy a Carolina Windom 80. The problem is I only have 60 feet to each corner of my property. One leg of the Windom is 50' but the other is 80'. I have heard that you can let the last 20' of the 80' leg just hang down the tree. Is this true? It seems it would be a waste of the last 20' and the antenna wouldn't act the same as one put up properly.

I don't want to buy this thing then find it won't work here.. any suggestions?

John

2. RU9CA

RU9CA Ham Member QRZ Page

To bend the end of dipole - an usual deal. Is no terrible here.
    Sure - the tree can some move down the resounding frequency of your antenna.
    Doubtful that this will be a problem on low bands, but on upper bands - already probably.

3. W7LPN

W7LPN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done this...sort of

http://fraziersleeveddipoles.wetpaint.com/page/HF+Antennas

All I can say is visit Cebik's web page( http://www.cebik.com/helpme.htm ), read a lot, he has several dimensions which show different lengths by varying the position of the feed point, then start with as long as possible & trim until you get resonant on your desired frequencies. My model works well with a compact auto-tuner, 4:1 balun at the feed point and tunes everything from 10- 80m with some difficulty on 15m. I almost never get on 15m, so I'm not disappointed at all. http://www.hamuniverse.com/antennas.html

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it's an asymmetric antenna it might be best to droop both ends, proportionally, rather than just one end.

Off-centre fed dipoles can be interesting. When they are good they are very very good; When they are bad they are horrid. ;)

5. KJ4PTA

Thanks for the answers guys, I appreciate it. I have also been told I can 90 degree the 80' leg to another tree.. if this is true it opens a lot of options [got a lot of trees].

Dropping both legs is a possibility but would really shorten the short leg. I'd hate to buy it then find this W5GI was better.

6. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.packetradio.com/windom.htm

Scroll way down the page.

[​IMG]

"The Windom can be installed as a Droop-End (see figure D below) or as a sloper, but in no case, should the angle be greater than 90 degrees against itself."

7. KJ4PTA

Thanks AE5JU.. and everyone else. That's an interesting page I haven't seen before.
    That page answers a lot of questions. :-0

8. K7NNO

K7NNO Moderator QRZ Page

Build your own. You will end up saving a LOT plus you will learn a lot doing it. Plus the fact that the ads for the Carolina windom contain so much BS designed to fool the antenna novice...

9. WM5Q

WM5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I just built my own this week. It's also a very unideal installation. The first half of the long leg is at maybe 20 feet in the air, and then it slopes down to the fence where it runs to the end. The other side slopes directly from the feedpoint down to the fence, and then over to a tree. The balun I built for free, a 4:1 current balun.

Behavior is quite reasonable, all considered. Resonance on 80 is in the lower part of the band, but the antenna coupler can match it on the upper end. 40 meters is reasonable, though rather low impedance I believe. 20 meters is reasonable, and 10 meters is below 1.2:1 across the whole band. 15 meters complains, worse than 5:1.

All considered, it's a pretty good antenna for free. :)

10. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone explain the reason for the note "Angle at C and D should not exceed 90 degrees" on the diagram in Post #6 ?

Steve G3TXQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.