Antenna plans that don't make any sense.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thes swr is excellent on all bands

2. AE7F

AE7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Very helpful thread. I'm still waiting for my 6-way hub.

3. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles, can you confirm that the actual length of the spreaders (not the feedpoint arm) is somewhere around 6-6 1/2 feet out from the center of your hub?

I've been looking through all the different cobwebb sites trying to determine the actual spreader length needed and I mostly find element length info instead.

I have my 9' poles on the spider now and I just realized I may very well get by with another 3' section removed if this 6' + measurement is correct (Mine are mounted on short PVC arms on my 12" square plate so 6 feet of fiberglass should work out to around 6' 4" spreader length total). If so this would be great as it would be more compact and lighter; my "MIL SPEC" version is getting heavy!

Thanks!

73, Jeff (with cobweb in progress; been working on the balun today...)

G1YBB likes this.
  4. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff,

On my cobweb the 20m wires are attached at a distance of 72.25" along the spreaders from the centre of the hub; there will be some slight variation depending on the wire type you use and its velocity factor.

Steve G3TXQ

G1YBB likes this.
  5. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Steve; inasmuch as I'm using the same type of wire 1mm/2mm insulation as you it appears that I'm good to go with the 6 footers plus a tiny bit.

Cheers, mate!

73, Jeff

6. KC8VWM

Yup, 6-6 1/2 feet is just fine. Anything longer is just extra. Good luck with the project Jeff.

7. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Charles; That's really good news.

Today I'm winding the balun cores and it's going smoothly so far. I'll post more pix on my DIY cobweb thread again soon.

73, Jeff

8. KC8VWM

I think I am just as excited to see it in the air as you are..:) I will stay tuned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.