Antenna plans that don't make any sense.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles,

I see many references to those Shakespeare Durango panfish poles being graphite rather than fibreglass; do you know for certain which it is?

Steve G3TXQ

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really a good question.

I admit I am not sure really. But after reading your post, I snapped off a piece and put it inside the microwave oven to test it. It was non reactive so the material must be radio opaque.

I am not sure how to tell if it's fiberglass or not exactly but it does seem to have fiber strands in it of some sort which seems to resemble fiberglass.

I took a few closeup photos in the radio lab of the broken pieces from some of the left over sections I had.

Thoughts?

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. KD0AUO

KD0AUO Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a cheap pole right?

Pretty good chance it was glass then. Graphite rods are more spendy.

4. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

But I can't see anything definitive on the Shakespeare web site; nor am I sure how conductive they are or what the implications might be!

Steve G3TXQ

5. KC8VWM

Apparently carbon graphite is not the same thing as carbon fiber or nickel graphite. Also many antenna radoms are constucted using graphite materials.

I understand the "conductive" aspect of some of these materials involve the idea they contain ion particles which are either negatively or positively charged.

I don't think all composite materials are created equally. This stuff didn't blow up in the microwave though..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. 2I0TWF

2I0TWF Ham Member QRZ Page

Any news on the build so far Charles?

7. KC8VWM

Yep back at it again. Been busy lately with work schedules, wife to do stuff and the holiday things.

We also had some rain and it's been sitting there calling me but it looks like I can work on it today. I'll post more pics as things progress. :)

8. KC8VWM

Antenna in retracted position. 20m antenna wire hanging. Waiting to complete.

IMAG0093.jpg

Feed point view. Shows feedline leading inside to aluminum electrical blocks inside.

**BTW, you can click any photo to enlarge for more detail**

IMAG0095.jpg

Feed point box connection to fishing rod pole. (feed point pole)

IMAG0096.jpg

Feed point pole to main hub view

IMAG0098.jpg

Removable feed point pole at main antenna hub connection. Note rubber shrink tubing used.

IMAG0097.jpg

9. KC8VWM

Design calls for one wire which is cut and connected inside the feed point box and second wire simply passes underneath the feed point box as illustrated.

Preparing 20m wire for connection to feed point box.

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

Trim off about 1/4" of insulation and fold bare portion of wire back onto the insulation before inserting inside the hole. This provides additional mechanical strength at the connection when tightening down the screws inside.

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

Insert just the top wire into the hole with the copper side facing down.

Tighten screw and tug on the wire slightly to ensure it doesn't pull out.

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

Ensure the wire that is NOT to be connected inside the feed point box, is relatively straight/tight and runs directly under the feed point box like this:

IMAG0130.jpg

This is the method we will repeat on each wire made to the feed point box.

10. KC8VWM

Some project snags:

I could not use my heavy duty clamps as described earlier for this project.

IMAG0117.jpg

These worked great for holding the 20m wire on the speaders seen earlier:

IMAG0031.jpg

However, the clamps when mounted elsewhere were either too big, or too small for holding the other elements in their respective positions on the spreaders.

...Nothing fits in between.

IMAG0118.jpg

Going to Plan B.... Using UV resistant, mil spec. zip ties mounted to the spreaders and antenna wire is routed in the following way.

IMAG0121.jpg

Also note the antenna wire ends are connected together and ready for soldering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.