ad: Schulman-1

Antenna mounting with 2020 Subaru Forester

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N0XXX, Jan 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0XXX

N0XXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to mount an antenna on a 2020 Forester. I don't want to interfere with the Eyesight camera field of view.
    I'd like to use a lip mount with a Diamond NR73BNMO. The location would be on the passenger side corner of the hood. It's really my only option at this point. I can't punch a hole in the roof for NMO mount and a luggage rack mount is not an option because of clearance restrictions in my parking garage at home and at work.
    The face of the V71A will be mounted in the cubby below the climate controls.

If anyone can offer any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've waited to reply to your question, hoping there would be an answer from a Subaru owner who has actually had experience with this. So far, nobody has replied, so I feel better about chiming in, even though I don't have any firsthand experience with the scenario you are proposing.

For those that aren't aware, EyeSight is Subaru's unique collision mitigation system, consisting primarily of a STEREO camera machine vision system mounted around the inside rear-view mirror, facing outward through the windshield.
    upload_2020-1-14_11-44-28.png

Included with the new car, along with the other Forester Owner's manuals, should be the 2020 EyeSight Quick Guide, and maybe (I'm not sure) the 2020 Forester Eyesight Owner's Manual, which has much more detail. Both can be downloaded from the Subaru.com website, here:
    https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-resources/manuals.html?modelCode=2020-FOR-LFF

According to the full Eyesight Owner's Manual, on page 13, they caution against mounting accessories on the hood or grille. Antennas are not specifically mentioned. The manual also has MANY cautions about keeping the forward view clear, and only using Subaru replacement parts, such as a rear-view mirror, and even wiper blades. Are these genuine concerns that may cause the system to malfunction, or just liability protection for the company? That's your coin flip, right there.
    Should you choose to mount an antenna on the lip of the hood, you'd probably be forging your own path.

EyeSight Manual pg 13.jpg

If I were faced with your choice, I'd start by asking how much antenna performance I really need. If you are in an area where the stations you hope to work are all nearby, then a glass-mounted dual-band antenna on one of your rear windows might just do the trick.

It can be mounted just low enough on the window so it doesn't bump anything in the garage or the door, but it's very flexible if it does.

I've used one for years on multiple vehicles, and it has meet most of my needs. I have lived in populated areas, and the repeaters I've tried to work have been mostly nearby, so the glass-mount has been 'good enough'. No worries at all for simplex operations, they've mostly been with other stations that are in line-of-sight.

This solution certainly won't provide high gain, but with the TM-V71, you'll have much better capability than you'd think. Another benefit: The coax stays inside the cabin, no need to find or make an exit hole!

Summary: I'd skip the hood mount, and use a glass-mounted dual bander from Larsen, or MFJ.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    WZ7U likes this.
  3. AC2KV

AC2KV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're planning to install the body of the radio under a seat, there is a cross member that is a good location. It's held in with 4 nuts that you can remove with a ratchet. Then mount the radio and maybe a speaker to it and re-install. Very easy to do.

This was the case on my 2014 Forester

4. AC2KV

I looked under the headliner for possible antenna mounting positions but gave up when I saw the sun roof mechanisms and the side curtain air bags.

Went with this hatchback NMO mount on the driver's side: https://www.diamondantenna.net/k400snmo.html and am using a Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna - https://www.gigaparts.com/larsen-nmo2-70b.html

Very low SWR on both bands. I couldn't be more pleased with this setup, it performs quite well.

I tried a Larsen glass mount but the SWR was way too high, probably due to incompatible glass with high metal content.

5. N0XXX

I"m familiar with the antenna and the mount. The Larsen NMO2/70B is another possibility I have considered. Can You post a picture showing your antenna install?

6. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

^^This!!!

The EyeSight information we received with our 2019 CrossTrek in October was VERY CLEAR to not do ANYTHING that might adversely affect the stereo cameras field-of-view ... down to not mounting an EZPass toll-system transponder in a large specified area on the inside of the windshield, and even not spraying the inside of the windshield with window cleaner, lest any "over-spray" get onto the camera lenses.

7. AC2KV

Not the best pics, but you get the idea-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

N0XXX likes this.
  8. N0XXX

AC2KV, thanks for the photos. You've inspired me to install on the tailgate instead. Did you have to pull the headliner or side paneling to run the coax to the radio? I'm going to mount the Kenwood V71a under the drivers seat with the face of the radio inside the cubbie just below the AC controls.

9. AC2KV

I ran the coax through the tailgate weather strip to the driver side panel in the cargo area. Then under the rear passenger carpet to the radio body bolted to the seat cross member along with a speaker. As I said before the cross member easily unbolts with 4 nuts. You can then mount the radio to it and bolt it back in. Overall this was an easy install.

The radio faceplate is held in place with an articulating mount that holds the faceplate in place with magnets.

[​IMG]

Seat all the way forward for photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KI5IXC and KV6O like this.
  10. K0WLO

K0WLO Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI Subaru does publish a template where it is OK to put EZ Pass, took a bit of digging but if you contact customer service at Subaru they will email it to you. 73