Antenna mount options for toyota highlander 2016

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC7MYN, May 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC7MYN

KC7MYN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Trying to find a good option for mounting dual band antenna on highlander. Used a Diamond k400 on older model but that won't work on the new vehicle. Anyone had any success with antenna installation? Thanks...Carol

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Drill a hole in the roof, and use a 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna. Should work just fine for 70 cm too.

NQ9L and KD2IAT like this.
  3. KA7AMZ

KA7AMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Carol, What did you decide to do for your antenna? We just got a 2016 Highlander and have beentryongto find something without having to. Drill a hole in the roof.

4. KC7MYN

Used a smaller mount that fits on the front hood. Not as substantial as the k400 but it works (k412c by diamond) Would rather have a mount that connects under the hood and attaches to wheel well area but don't make them for Toyota.

5. KE8GPY

KE8GPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to resurrect this thread again but figured it would be better then starting a new one. I have a 2011 Highlander and am wondering where/how y'all mounted the radio and head unit. I have purchased a Yaesu FTM-100DR and am waiting for it to come in. I am leaning towards mounting the radio under the seat (passenger side) with the head either on a cup holder or suction cup mount. One thing I did wonder about under the seat is during the summer the vent will keep the radio cool but during the winter when the heat is on and coming out of that vent will it affect the radio?

6. KC7MYN

I haven't had any problem with heat under the seat. I did this install in my 2010 Highlander. Also used a lido mount that holds the radio head that mounts under the front seat bolt down. Good luck

7. K9QJS

K9QJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.proclipusa.com has a couple of nice mounting brackets. I'm planning on using the one of theirs that fits over the vent on the dash in my 2017 Highlander.

8. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just wish folks would think about the safety aspects BEFORE they decide to mount their transceivers and/or remote heads. all you have to do, is see the aftermath of an airbag collision, and you wouldn't be using anything that clips on, or is in the way of an airbag. Remember too, they virtually cover the entire dashboard both top and front. There is always a better way if you just stop and think about it.

9. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm the proud owner of a new Toyota highlander. It doesn't have a dome light, oh no, my tried and true method of NMO mount installation won't work. Really, I've never done it any other way.