ANTENNA MODELLING PROGRAM FOR LINUX

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by SV9ZP, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. SV9ZP

SV9ZP QRZ Member

I am looking for an easy to use - free - Antenna modelling software, working under the OS UBUNTU / LINUX.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

SV9ZP/ Tasos

2. AA3CS

AA3CS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Depending on which distribution you use - I use the current Ubuntu - you can get nec2c for it (or nec2++) and then use xnecview to examine the results. Not terribly user friendly - you have to hand edit the NEC card "deck" but it does work and the results compare to the other simulators.

3. SV9ZP

SV9ZP QRZ Member

Thanks, I am going to download it soon. D o you also work with other amateur radio programs, which may will be of interest? (making pcb's, designing LC passive filters, and so on?)

Tasos

4. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

It might be interesting to try one of the more friendly modelling packages under Wine (which uses public domain libraries to emulate the operation of Windows.)

I just use the path of least resistance: I use W2k to run Windows applications. ;)

5. SV9ZP

SV9ZP QRZ Member

I give a try to nec2c, to see what it looks like.(hopefully, it has a good GUI).
    After all, I would like to work under the linux plattform, as it gives me freedom. Of course, if the available software under linux, is not what one is looking for, then trying something thru WINE, could be an alternative.
    Up to now, I had no chance to download the nec2c, since I come back home, late at night.
    Thank you, both guys, for the assistance.

regards
    Tasos / sv9zp

6. WD5ABC

WD5ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use MMANA-GAL, it's a good freeware Windows antenna modeling program but it runs fine under Wine. I'm running it here in the shack on Fedora 7 but I also use it on my laptop with Ubuntu 8. The graphics worked better under Ubuntu but it might just be that it gets along better with the Nvidia card in the laptop. It works fine on either distribution though.

Kerry, WD5ABC

7. KB3TZK

KB3TZK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've tried nec2c last weekend. It has no GUI. You can use xnec2c though if you want a GUI. It is available for Linux.

8. SV9ZP

SV9ZP QRZ Member

I am working with Ubuntu 9.10 , so maybe it will better. Since then, I have never tried out the MMNAN-GAL programm, to see what it looks like.

Thanks Kerry

73, Tasos / SV9ZP

9. WD5ABC

WD5ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Tasos,

I was just curious if you had tried MMANA on Linux yet? I was using it again yesterday on my laptop using Ubuntu 8.04. Hope it works out for you.

Kerry
    Victoria, TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.