Antenna Modeling Software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KA5ROW, Jun 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to get some antenna modeling software. Good software, but not real technical, but a step up from basic.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is what I [try to] use.... http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/ ... I can do some basic stuff and I'm getting better.

But like anything else technical, it's a learning process and will not be easy from the beginning. It just takes time and practice.

Seek out videos, tutorials, and local clubs offering up classes.

Good luck - it's always worth the effort to learn new things :)

Dave
    W7UUU

3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, 4nec2 is not bad, but it's a long learning curve. I wish there were some good samples around of tutorials. The instructions are written for someone that already understands it.

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

EZNEC has a free version, it's limited only in the number of segments in the model.

For me, EZNEC is much easier to use than 4nec2, though it does cost for the unlimited version ($100 or $150 depending on version). However 4nec2 has an optimization routine built-in if you will be designing complex antennas.

They both use the same underlying NEC2 engine for modeling. There is a newer engine, NEC4, which can directly handle some problems that NEC2 can't, but it's very expensive to buy the license from the government and very few hams have it (or need it).

All personal antenna modeling software is Windows based, so if you have a Mac you need to boot to Windows or use a virtual machine with Windows as I do. (There is one program that I know of for Mac but I found that it didn't handle some problems correctly so I don't use it).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

Do not neglect to consider the program Nec2Go. At $39 I prefer it some over my $149 copy of EZNEC+ V6. There is no limit on segment count. I use it to batch-process whole directories of antenna files, each file a small iteration of some given parameter. It is lively and quick. When plotting an SWR run, it builds the curve point-by-point. No having to wait until the very end. So if the SWR is not looking good, I just interrupt it, with less time wasted.

Being less than pleased generally with the graphic quality of azimuth plots for ANY of the NEC analyzers (Nec2Go, EZNEC, MMANA-GAL, 4NEC2), I wrote my own little side-utility that works with Nec2Go. http://ky8d.net/nec2go/html/