Antenna mast Iron Pipe, EMT, Galvanized....

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI6LNG, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't weld galvanized metal. People die that way.

2. KB7IIE

KB7IIE Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna Mast Pipe Alternatives

Consider the 4' fiberglass pole sections used by the US Military and are routinely found as surplus on the market. The batch of 12 that I purchased was fairly inexpensive, very well made and incredibly strong in the typical NW wind storms. Several aftermarket supply's also offer aluminum and composite guy ring supports to slip onto any section you want to tie down. They are 1 1/2 inches OD some are in Army green, others are in camouflage.

If you are unable to find them in your location, search for them on eBay and go from there.

3. KJ4QCV

KJ4QCV Ham Member QRZ Page

how about 2 10' sections from lowes, home depot, wherever have them thread the ends and use a coupler.

4. K9KJM

K9KJM Ham Member QRZ Page

The 21 foot length sections of nice galvanized schedule water pipe are as close as your local full service PLUMBER. (Most of them really know how to charge however...)
    You MIGHT be able to get some good used if you can find a local full service plumbing shop who replaces deep well pump pipe. (Most new replacement pipe is now plastic, But many times they pull out the 21 foot sections of galvanized pipe, And the sections near the top of the well are usually in good shape.) Doesnt cost any more to ask. Also check with your local scrap/salvage type yards.

Most home supply type stores only have the 10 foot length pipes, And if you use a coupler, You do reduce the overall strength a lot.

5. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep the info coming folks. I'm thinking about one of these applications
    for use when I get my 40' tower up. Need something thick walled for 4 beams and a verticle antenna to sit in a Ham IV rotor

6. AC0YW

AC0YW Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.mgs4u.com/index.html Might have something you could adapt to your support needs, the material is VERY high quality and quite strong. In don't think you would want to try a rotor on a single member support system though due to twist forces. The material at the link will work for a wire though.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. WA4VBC

WA4VBC Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try the local salvage yard, as they often have pipe of various sizes and cheaper than new. I have a nice section of 1-1/2" stainless steel pipe I picked up from one that I plan to make an antenna mounting bracket from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.