Antenna maintenance,and problem solved!

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KD8NGE, Jun 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8NGE

KD8NGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Last night I dismounted/disassembled the Diamond NMO dual band on its Arizona Rocky Roads spare tire mount on the stern of my good old Jeep: I do this yearly -- Ohio is a Salt The Roads state, and salt spray corrodes everything it possibly can. You might say road salt likes its job reeeal well.
    After dismount, blasting it out with electronic cleaner and compressed air, a shot of dielectric lubricant, reassembly, turn the radio on and tune to the National Weather Service broadcast, and ...
    ... nothing ...
    Uh-oh, says I, I just ruined something: tear it down, look it all over, put it together, try it again ...
    Deaf as a post.
    Cautiously try the nearest repeater, the radio chirps when I keyed up (never did that before! -- Icom 208H, never a problem so far) ... at this point I did the wisest thing possible.
    I gave up and went to bed so I could tear into it on a good night's rest.
    (This proves I am not as dumb as I look!)
    This morning I did it all over again and no help at all. I can normally hit a half dozen repeaters from my driveway ... and the Grafton weather broadcast normally comes BOOMING in ... I could barely hear Grafton and couldn't raise a single repeater.
    Dug around in the garage, found the dual band mag mount.
    Reached up behind the radio and grabbed the knurled PL collar.
    It's tight.
    Wait a minute.
    This is a Diamond no ground with the real slender coax, it came from the factory with an adapter, aaand ...
    It's loose where it screws into the PL adapter.
    Tighten this up.
    Grafton is strong as a bull and clear as a bell and I hit all six repeaters.
    No more chirp when I keyed up.
    My little brother's advice on mechanic work came to mind:
    "Try what's cheap and easy first!"
    I offer the above with egg on my face, admittedly checking BOTH PL connections should have been among my very first actions, but I was so focused on my yearly teardown and cleanup it never occurred to me until I went into trouble shooting mode!
    As Paul Harvey said, "For what it's worth!"

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Been egg faced myself. Good advise. Check the basics first.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Luvit when a plan comes together

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Day.