Antenna loss prevention

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KI7FAN, Oct 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7FAN

KI7FAN Ham Member QRZ Page

The enjoyment of the amateur bands was cut short last week when I had my antenna stolen. A 2m/70cm Diamond mobile. Is there a known way to secure these screw on antennas against theft? Thanks,

Craig

2. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Put it in your trunk while you are parked.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    KB4QAA likes this.
  3. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, Craig, that's rotten news. In many decades of mobile operating, I've always been concerned about that, but it's never happened to me. Perhaps the location of my antennae were too inconvenient to reach, or I just never crossed paths with a jerk who would steal them.

I have considered various methods of securing an antenna, but then anyone who tries to steal it will likely mangle the system in the attempt, and I'd have been better off letting them have it.

How was it mounted? If you are using a magnet-mount, your antenna would be pretty vulnerable to any low-life that wanted it.

If you use an NMO or "UHF" mount, you could drill and tap a hole through the side of the antenna base, through the mounting threads, and install a locking screw.

Just a thought. Sorry for your loss.

If you can, cheer up, it's just metal, you have your health, etc. etc. etc..

Best Wishes,
    David / N2PQW

KI7FAN likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I did all the years I used a mobile antenna. It's a hassle especially if the weather sucks. But a necessary evil.

Dave
    W7UUU

KI7FAN, WG7X and KB4QAA like this.
  5. KI7FAN

KI7FAN Ham Member QRZ Page

It is mounted on the bed rail of a Toyota Tundra. Not a mag mount. But it is low. Maybe a set screw would work. Low life morons piss me off.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The high voltage generator from a disposable camera flash should do the trick.

KI7FAN likes this.
  7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Just put a note on it that says, "Not a CB antenna".

KI7FAN and WA7PRC like this.
  8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 2m rig stolen out of my car many years ago . . .

This was because somebody obviously thought it was a CB rig - this was back in the 1980s when we had NO CB band here in Britain, but some people had started pirating on 27 MHz with American CB rigs.

Not long after that, we introduced a legal CB Band, using 27MHz FM . . . and eventually all activity died out !

So these days I think the chances of having a rig (or an antenna) stolen are pretty slim. (I have a 2M rig installed in one car, and an HF rig in the other)

Roger G3YRO

9. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That reminds me that I had a Regency HR-212 stolen out of my car. I immediately notified the police AND the ham that I had bought the radio from in case these PWT-types showed up with it. Sho 'nuff, about a week later they showed up at Gordon's shop wanting him to convert it over "fer 11 Meters, thar". Gord played dumb, told 'em it would take about a week to "convert it to CB". He called me to come over 'bout a week later and also notified the local police. The detectives and I hid in a back room. When the thieves arrived, Gordon presented them with the radio (which, of course, had not been touched) and received the agreed-upon price ($25). The detectives lunged out of the room and nabbed the two thieves!:oops::D You never saw such a look of shock on their faces as handcuffs snapped shut, and as I identified the radio as being mine. Turns out, these two were "neighbor" kids all 'het' up about CB radio. They were too ignorant about radio to know the difference in a 2 Meter radio and a chicken band piece of junk. Tan fer thar, good buddy?":rolleyes:

N2EY likes this.
  10. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Advice: Don't drive at night with an 8-foot Hustler sticking way above your SUV -- about 6 feet in my case!

I lost mine to a Montana owl, as I saw it in headlights for a 1/10th of a second or so, than "whack!" It bent the stinger 90-degrees above the KW-40 coil, broke the nylon line holding it vertical on the HD spring 'n mount, and put quite an arc in the Hustler mast.
    I never did find the owl in the dark. I'm pretty sure he "split."
    That ended my 20 and 40M HF activities on my way up to Alaska in 1993.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018