ad: Mircules-1

Antenna Installation on a 2014 Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB8MXX, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KB8MXX

KB8MXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna Installation on a 2014 Grand Cherokee (oops!! Duplicate post)

Would like to install my 2m/440 rig in my 2014 Grand Cherokee. Looking for some ideas on antenna installation. The Cherokee has tinted windows so a on the glass antenna will not work. Never have liked mag mounts. Does not look like there is enough of a lip on the hatch to use a lip mount. No luggage rack on the roof to mount an antenna to. And drilling a hole in the roof is not I am willing to do. Drilling a hole in the gutter by the rear hatch to get the coax into the vehicle or to attach a bracket to install an antenna on .. maybe.

Anybody with a vehicle like mine come up with an antenna solution that does not require drilling a hole in the roof or using a mag mount?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Lip mount on the roof racks?

magmounts are fine. What do you dislike about them?

3. NG0Q

NG0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered a 2015 Grand Cherokee, drove it home and drilled a hole in the roof.
    I know you said you don't want to but you know its your best option. I think it looks better than an antenna sticking somewhere it don't belong.
    If I unscrew the antenna and screw on a cap it looks like it is there from the factory. If you plan on keeping it for a while it will be your best bet.

4. KB8MXX

The Jeep has the side rail on the roof but no crossbars. Therefore no roof rack as I never needed to carry things on the roof. I have a pickup truck & trailer for that.

As far as magmounts, I have 2 of them. Nothing wrong with magmounts. I have used them when I need to temporarily use a radio in a vehicle but not for long term use. View it the same way as rearranging my kitchen and relocating where my microwave is at. Nothing wrong with using an extension cord on a temporary basis to power it but only until an outlet is installed in its new location.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have used mag mounts for years on bands from 10 mtrs. to 440 they work just fine have two on the SUV and one on another vehicle now for me there is no reason to be drilling holes but do what you think best.

6. KB8MXX

I did that on more than one vehicle, including the full-size Chevy truck I bought that I still have. I have regretted doing that to the truck ever since.

7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"L" mount on the LF fender at the edge of the hood.

8. N5LOQ

N5LOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

On my Grand Cherokee, I put a trunk lip mount on the driver's side of the hood of the car, directly across from the car radio antenna on the passenger side, and put a Comet 5/8 wave base loaded dual band antenna on it. I adjusted the mount of the antenna to have the same tilt angle as the radio antenna and it balanced it out perfectly and looks really good.

9. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Comet 660 mount. Or the Diamond one that is similar. Used this on my Subaru Crosstrek, and my beater Dodge Caravan. Tilt over for going in a car wash or garage. :)

73 K2HAT

DSCN7434.JPG

Bought my parts at Gigaparts a while back, here is a copy of the parts from the follow up email.

[TABLE]
    <tbody id="yui_3_16_0_1_1427560196469_45724">[TR]
    [TD="width: 241"][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [​IMG] Combination of C101 and C110. UHF Base with 16 1/2 Ft. Cable Assembly w/ PL-259
    MFG: C211
    [/FONT][/TD]
    [/TR]
    </tbody>[/TABLE]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [​IMG] Comet RS-660U Wide Opening Roof-Rack Mount - Up to 2.5" Width, and made stronger to support bigger antennas
    MFG: RS-660U
    [/FONT]

10. KE0CJN

KE0CJN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee. Windows are tinted but that doesn't impede RF transmission (my radar detector works fine). I use a MFJ 1734 on the rear driver's side window (on the 2011s, the rear window flips up and I wanted to keep it off the defroster grid). Works quite well.

It's not an NMO mount, but it's the best option that wouldn't potentially scratch the paint or otherwise permanently alter the vehicle. Others (I saw one other guy over at Jeep Garage forum do this too) have also reported no issues with glass mount on the current gen Grand Cherokee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.