ad: OARC-1

Antenna Ideas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI7QVR, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7QVR

KI7QVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings from AZ. First, quick background...

Graduated from DeVry in 81. Electronics Technician Program. Ended up working in IT. Now, at 56, I'm taking my Technician's test on 10/21. I am surprised how much of my schooling actually stuck! When it comes to the radio, electronics, RC/LC/Pi circuits, LO, VFO, IM, etc, I get it all. Not bragging! Just giving you an idea where I'm at knowledgewise...I understand wavelength/freq. relationship, engine noise, etc. I'm not a green horn when it comes to the technical side...but when it comes to the practical side, I need a little help...

I live in an HOA in Arizona...typical stucco homes. Once I take my test, I'm gonna need some antenna ideas. No trees. 2-story home without an attic but I have an empty loft upstairs. I have a backyard that's about 55' across and 55' from the house to the back wall and no trees to attach anything to. My antenna can extend beyond my wall height as long as the old biddies patroling the neighborhood can't see it from the front...

Anyway, I'm looking for antenna ideas...I'm going to work toward the Extra ticket so I want to think long-term. I'll likely start with a couple of HT's...looking at 8W tri-band Beofeng's. Unless you all have a better starting point. I like the Yaesu 2-band units with the IP67 rating...they're pricier but clearly built well. If you said, "don't waste your money with the Beofang and get the Yaesu's, then that's what I'd do. (My wife is gonna get her ticket as well, that's why two radios).

Anyway, I'd like some ideas from you operators who have to hide from HOA's, etc. I appreciate your advice in advance!

Brian

2. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

With a similar problem down here in Tucson, I use a mag loop (MFJ 1786) for 15 to 30 meters, a two-element moxon for ten and six meters that replaced a tv antenna on my roof (neighbors can't tell the difference) and a 42-foot fiberglass mast that I use to deploy longer verticals or doublets - mostly at night when no-one's looking. VHF antennas you can probably get away with. You might also consider compact verticals or a flagpole. A nearby ham has a trap vertical (6BTV) disguised in a fiberglass tube, a big 2 -m beam in place of his tv antenna and a flagpole antenna. You'll get lots of ideas!

Mike

K9ASE and NH7RO like this.
  3. KW1K

KW1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest a vertical such as Hustler 6BTV which is easily disguised as a flag pole using 2 inch PVC, assuming yo can lay down radials. If radials are not feasible there are off center fed verticals built into flag poles and these do not require radials.

There is a federal statute which gives you the right to erect a flagpole to display the US flag. Below is a link to the applicable law. In addition to the federal law on flying the American flag, Arizona has a specific law that requires an association to allow the flying of certain flags on flagpoles on the lot: the American flag, military flags, the POW/MIA flag, the Arizona state flag, an Arizona Indian nations flag, and the Gadsden flag. The association shall adopt rules governing the flying of the flag, which may include limiting the member to flying no more than two flags at once and the limiting the height of the flagpole to no more than the height of the rooftop of the member’s home. However, the association cannot prohibit the installation of a flagpole on a member’s property.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...hibit-you-from-flying-your-favorite-flag.html

K9ASE, N5DMC and US7IGN like this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

And you can google "stealth antennas"

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some good ideas already posted.

Here's something nobody mentioned and it's not an antenna suggestion, just some advice:

If your home is all stucco sided, nothing "indoors" is going to work nearly as well as it would "outside." Since you've had electronics training, you may remember something about dielectrics. Air is excellent, almost as good as a vacuum. Stucco absolutely sucks.:p

Anything you can get "above the roof" and away from the stucco, or behind the house and as far away from the house as possible will work far better than anything indoors.

K9ASE likes this.
  6. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes indeed, because stucco is typically laid on wire mesh that covers most of the structure (except usually the roof). It’s not a bad ground plane and has the bonus of being very lightning~resistant.

7. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Gap Titan vertical ground mounted in the back yard. No radials needed as it has its own counterpoise. Should not be able to see it from the street. Some people scoff at the Gaps but years ago when we moved to a new QTH and no big antenna projects were possible for awhile I used a Gap Titan and had pretty good results.

As for the handheld radios personally I would stick with Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood. I have a Yaesu FT60R which I have had for a few years and it does very well.

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

In QST 3 years ago, there was an article about cutting a slot in a Direct TV antenna, for 2 meters. By law, they must allow sattellite antennas & TV aerials. Wouldn't ever get noticed.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How's that related to HF?

10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Because he's going for the Tech exam. He also lives in a stucco home. If he wants to use the Baofeng (Or any other HT), he will need an outside antenna. It's also a pretty fun project.

Ed

NH7RO likes this.