Antenna idea...need help

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WB5T, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5T

WB5T Ham Member QRZ Page

So I live in an apartment without many options. I live on the first floor on the corner. My idea is basically creating something similar to a buddipole but just want to make sure I won't be wasting my time. I've attached a picture that I drew to give an idea.

[​IMG]

Each mast would be around 10 feet of PVC wrapped in 14 awg stranded copper. I've already created one and have it standing as a vertical, but I figured if I created another mast and mounted it at an angle as shown above, it would act as an "V" dipole. Each mast would would be fed straight from the balun coming from the tuner. The base would just be a wood structure that I can build real quick.

Any thoughts??

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. KB2BLS

KB2BLS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you found this site yet ?
    Ham universe
    For an unknown reason , I can nolonger click & drag my bookmarks .

4. WB5T

WB5T Ham Member QRZ Page

So I checked out the sites (thanks for the information!!). Do I really need radials since the it is a dipole?? It's been awhile since I've really messed with antennas and this is what I used to do on active duty Air Force. Every time we set up a dipole, we didn't need any radials. However, it has a little difficulty tuning up on 40m or 80m...Any suggestions??

5. KB9MZ

KB9MZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure that the windings are opposite to each other such that the inductance on one side cancels the other leaving you with just distributed loads on the antenna. Makes it easier to tune!

6. WB5T

WB5T Ham Member QRZ Page

What exactly do you mean by opposite?? You mean like distanced equally apart?? Thanks!!

7. KB9MZ

KB9MZ Ham Member QRZ Page

clockwise and counter clockwise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.