Antenna Hitch mount

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by N6NED, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6NED

N6NED Ham Member QRZ Page

So Here is what I came up with. I made some changes to the overall size of the hitch for better ground clearance to keep this awesome hitch from draggin in the dirt when crossin some rough stuff. Also I added a threaded hole to one side of the hitch so there is no more slop in the reciever at all. The hitch will be sold the same price with all hardware including U-Bolts (what ever size you need) and 1, half inch bolt and washer to tighten down the hitch to the reciever. No more pin to hold the reciever, just one half inch grade 8 bolt so the guys looking to use this hitch while being mobile will appreciate the rigidness. Thanks again for all the input and coments that helped this evolve to this point. The more the better.
    KJ6IXG@YAHOO.COM
    049.JPG 050.jpg 051.JPG 048.jpg

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's right. And to be a bit more succinct, we encourage interactive commentary in this forum so long as the discussion serves a purpose and is pertinent to the thread.

It looks like the category is taking off to a good start!

-fred

3. N6NED

So heres a new design. We'll call this the "tech". and the pivoting mount the "general". (The "extra" is still under construction). Anyways, Im trying to make an affordable mount to those who dont exactly need the pivoting feature and lets just face it, you cant convince the the ol' ball and chain to let you spend a $120 bucks to mount another ugly antenna on her car. So This "Tech Mount" will sale for $60 (un-painted). The only problem I have with this is the shipping. Right now Im using USPS flat rate $20 anywhere in the U.S So that puts this up to $80 Shipped. If anyone has any ideas to ship these cheaper please chime in. I want to make these as affordable as I can. Ill attach some pics of the "Tech"
    006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! Looks better than anything currently on the market. My concern, when mounting on the back of a motor home, would there be enough clearance to clear the spare tire (and cover) which is mounted directly above the receiver? I have a feeling that you'll soon be hiring people to help you keep up with demand.:)

5. W5BIB

Just a P.S.: (Postal script!!):D ...I don't think you can beat the USPS flat rate. I mean, they (USPS) can't really tear this thing up!!!;)

6. N6NED

Thanks Steve for the kind words. Ive got nothing but possitive feedback but belive it or not Ive only sold 3! Lots of people asking where to send the money but I never hear from them again, thats why I thought of making this cheaper model ( the Tech.). About the motor home...Ill look into the distance and offer a longer one that would clear the tire rack. Good Lookin out Steve. When you ready to buy one of these Ill send one to you and Ill pay the shipping.

7. W5BIB

hitch thingy...

...IMHO..., I really recommend checking into E-bay / Pay-pal.. (to market this item). I'm just sayin'... ... You have a, ...(very) ...MARKETABLE item here, (and a market),... Don't let it slip away!!!... :)

8. N6NED

Its on EBAY, sold 1. I was thinking of getting a website and market it from that , maybe buy some ad time here and other HAM sites.

9. W5BIB

just let me know when you've had time to check out the dimensions for the motor home mount. I want one. I'll pay the shipping. Maybe the part that goes into the receiver could have a couple of "bolt" holes, so the length could be adjusted for those rv's that don't have the spare tire mounted on the rear. E-mail me at my e-mail address listed in my bio on QRZed. Thanks in advance. 73 Steve / W5bib ...(will pay w/ USPS money order) P.S. M/H is 1996 Winnebago Brave 30ft. My hurricane "escape" mobile!!

10. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You should take a measurement from the opening of your class three hitch to see how long he may need to make one clear the tire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.