ad: KC0Wad-1

Antenna Height: how important?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G3YWX, Jul 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Charles will probably find a way to stick some aerials on it, too. :)

[​IMG]

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, of course---that's the idea, isn't it? What were you going to put in it? Bamboo seedlings?

---Copperman out and headed for dinner...

3. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Courtesy of Steve G3TXQ

Depending on the angle of arrival of signals from particular parts of the world it is possible for an antenna to be too high especially at 2 wavelengths.

[​IMG]

KC9BNW, KE0EYJ and KI4AX like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Chatfield Reservoir? On the west end?

Just a guess...

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You nailed it. Below is view looking south east:

Chatfield State Park.jpg

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I figured as much from the description, since I did my childhood in that part of the world. Whats scary is I know almost exactly where that picture was taken since I've taken that almost exact shot myself over 30 years ago. I can remember when the Corps of Engineers started that project too. I wonder what the angle of the radiation needs to be to shoot over the hogsback and Rockies beyond from there to the west? I know from memory lane travels via Google Earth that the entire area has grown out to the point where I would probably get lost if I wasn't careful.

I'm glad you got to use that location and that it worked out well for you. I'm always listening for folks in that part of the world so maybe I can get you in the log sometime. It seems I have a hard time landing my electrons there reliably so keep an ear out for me. I also listen for stations in and around Alliance. NE since that's where my folks and brother moved to a while back.

Eric, Columbine High class of '81 ;)

7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I think above a wavelength or so on hf it's cheaper to build out instead of up.

You could take 240 ft of tower on 20 meters and either hold up one small yagi, or, take the same 240 ft and split it into 4 separate 60 footers to hold up a rhombic.

Rege

NH7RO likes this.
  8. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

It has little to do with antenna height. What matters is your class; if you are an Amateur Extra, your antenna performance is exponentially better. Anything less, you get degraded performance.

NL7W likes this.
  9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was at field day, and was tired of operating. I was getting SSB QSO's right and left, with a high dipole. There was a guy running FT-8 into a mag loop, and he was getting out about 600 to 800 miles, but not much more. I offered to let him use the high dipole (I was making SSB QSO's as far as his FT8 QSOs) and he refused, stating, "I have FT8. My mag loop is good enough."

I felt that was pretty interesting, given that he probably could have reached-out much further on FT8. That was why I offered, anyway.