ad: chuckmartin

Antenna Ground Radials

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N4TDT, Oct 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4TDT

N4TDT Ham Member QRZ Page

As a newer operator I’m still looking at double duty antenna solutions. A couple of questions:

1. If I mount an antenna on the ladder or luggage rack bars on my motorhome how much grounding will I get. Not lightening ground as much as antenna ground plane.

2. If I mount an antenna on a tripod outside the MH can I run the ground radials under the MH to reduce space needed?

thanks

2. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no way to know this. Get out your meter and measure your MH to find out. No two are made the same. I'd guess none to almost none.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any radials you add, will need to be connected very close (inches) to the antenna feed point. Otherwise they become an extended active element of the antenna. This changes the resonant frequency of the antenna.

A common improvement is to place copper or aluminum foil 'radials" on the roof of the RV and connect to the ladder. HVAC aluminum foil 'duct tape" is probably the cheapest material. You may need to overcoat or seal the edges to maintain weatherproof attachment. 3M does sell copper foils with conductive adhesive. :)

4. W4HMB

W4HMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a long time trucker, now retired, I found it best to attach a length of 2AWG wire to the frame and bring the other end to a good access point, keeping in mind not to have it at a resonate length to any of your bands in use. When operating outside the vehicle, use that same ground.

Attachments to the body, such as ladders, A/C housings and wind fairings, are not grounded well, if at all. Even bumpers are mounted after frame has been painted so you need a good frame mounted ground.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything you need to know about mobile installations...
    www.K0BG.com

KU4X likes this.
  6. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Seriously!