Antenna for Nissan Frontier?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WB9TEN, Jul 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. WB9TEN

WB9TEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Any experience out there with mounting a 2m/70cm antenna on a Nissan Frontier? I used a front fender clip on my Ranger but that is not available for the Nissan.

2. K0PIR

K0PIR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would you drill a hole in the roof? That's always a good place.

Nice to see you on.

AI7PM likes this.
  3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Getting folks to drill holes in roofs these days, isn't an easy task. Seemingly, there is always push-backs and lame excuses. What they don't realize is how much better a simple 1/4 wave antenna, center roof mounted, will out perform a gain antenna. Oh well, some live and learn, and others spurn.

AI7PM and KD2IAT like this.
  4. KD2IAT

KD2IAT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. J85K

J85K Ham Member QRZ Page

Alan_K0BG,

Pickup truck installation:- For the HF band on 75, 40, and 20 meters -- possible Screwdriver / Ham-stick type antenna --

Do you know if anyone has attempted to run an antenna off of the 'C' pillar ( the last post between the rear door and the pickup truck tray) and how successful this setup might have been?

For pickups with fixed tonneau covers or requiring heavy use of the tray and tailgate, such a mounting position is very tempting. Out of the way, and a quick connect inside to the transceiver and / or amplifier on the rear wall of the cab.

Your thoughts please.......

Regards,

Kumar_J85K

6. WB9TEN

WB9TEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses.

Drilling is a possibility. Even though this a new truck, I tend to keep them a long time (13 years for the last one) so resale isn't really an issue. I have a dual band mag mount at the present and the last trip into a parking garage was a nightmare. Because I normally have a tonneau cover installed, I've painted myself into a fairly small corner.

The article on antenna gain, lobes, and tilt contains a lot of good info. I don't remember where it is published but I also know that the popular 5/8 wave needs an infinite/very large ground plane and that any gain you think you are getting my not really be there when it is mounted on a vehicle.

A little OT. I did install a 1/4 NMO on our Chevy Cavalier years ago when it was still fairly new. My 10 year old daughter didn't know I had placed a piece of 1/4 plywood in the headliner before the drill came out. She watched with great anticipation for the drill to come through. Then, she immediately told her mom "Dad just drilled a hole in your car". So much for stealth antennas.

7. K0BG

Yes. About 20 years ago, I mounted a fair-sized bug catcher in the C pillar using an old GE Master ballmount. In theses days, the sheet metal was a bit thicker than today's. As a result, you might have to make a backing plate for the mount to take advantage to the frame work under the pillar.

8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

The "c" pillar is there to keep you from getting squished if you find yourself upside down.

I wouldn't drill holes in it.

Rege

9. K0BG

The truth in the matter Regs, is no matter where you plant an antenna on a modern vehicle, you're compromising some aspect of safety. This is especially true on mounting gear inside atop or near airbags.

WA3QGD likes this.
  10. KB0NAV

KB0NAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done this on my Frontier. Used an MNO mount centered in the roof. You can feed cable into the hole you drill and fish it from the hole where the third brake/cargo lights mount. Then feed down on either side of the rear window by lifting the plastic panels. No need to drop the headliner. When you sell it just unscrew the antenna and the mount keeps the water out. They even make MNO covers so it might not be noticed. Mine already had a satellite radio antenna on the roof at the front.

WB9TEN likes this.