Antenna for HF mobile setup

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by F4FYJ, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. F4FYJ

F4FYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Eric,

They'll work about as well as any 2.13m (7') tall bottom-loaded antenna would... OK but not quite as well as a taller antenna that has the loading coil toward the top. I can't speak to the Comet antenna's mechanical ruggedness.

There are other HF mobile antennas that work well. I use modified Hustler/New-Tronics stuff. They've been around since dirt was new, and are as rugged as any. My setup, using the MO-1 mast:
    • 75m = RM75 w/ inductance removed + 56" whip (129" OAL)
    • 40m = RM40 w/ inductance removed + 40" whip (111" OAL)
    • 20m = RM15 + 39" whip (108" OAL)
    • 15m = RM12 + 25.5" whip (91" OAL)
    • 10m = NO resonator... MO-1 mast + 40" whip & homebrew adapter*
    The 20m setup has worked well enough to work into Europe (on CW). I s'pose one could use a longer whip with less loading coil. I haven't tried that... yet.

All whip lengths are only the part that protrudes above the resonator. You'll need a whip at least a few inches longer than that. The RM75 uses the Larsen W640 (64") whip. Others are either Larsen W490 (49") or Hustler/New-Tronics.

* The adapter is made from a 3/8"-24 coupling nut + 1/4"-28 socket head screw (stainless steel). The old but still available Hustler locknut + split ferrule is used with it. A 1/8" hole is drilled through the stud at the top of the mast tubing to allow the whip to pass through.

Photo of 10m adapter:
    [​IMG]

I had to buy enough material to make 10 of these, just to have one for myself. I still have 9 available (w/ locknut & ferrule).

3. F4FYJ

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your review about Hulster antenna.
    Hard to find in France perhaps in UK...
    I think the Comet design is not very bad instead a bottom load coil antenna,the coil is located in the middle.

Eric

4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hustler antenna's are available in the UK at the dealer in Essex whose name i can't recall. They are good, well made of stainless steel, but expensive.

G0GQK

5. F4FYJ

Hello Melvyn,

I find Hulster in "hamradio.co.uk" online shop and yes , it's expensive about 300Euro (260GBP) for 10m to 40m coverage, but not more than 4 Comet mono bander 10,15,20 and 40m...79 Euro(67GBP) each part.
    I'll have to think about what is most convenient to use Comet or Hulster ?

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Only the whips themselves are stainless steel.

Radioworld lists Hustler/New-Tronics:
    MO-1, MO-2, MO-3, MO-4 mast = £26.95 to £38.95
    RM-10 thru RM-80 loading coils = £21.95 to £32.95

The MO-4 is a short unit. The other three are 54" tall (the MO-1 & MO-2 have a hinge joint, while the MO-3 doesn't).
    You'll need some form of mounting that presents a ⅜-24" female thread to the mast.

7. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are going to use monoband whips this length, you might as well go with one of the Hamstick type antennas or knock-offs http://www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog....html?osCsid=893b64a4d52a2d904a3d83d685b93531

These can be found online everywhere... you can even get them through Amazon.

I paid around $20 US for a 40m model. As previously mentioned, it works as well as any 7-8' loaded antenna would work.

I also carry a jumper (alligator clips and wire) and short out the coil section and tune the whip on the higher bands.

It works...

I've been looking at the Tarheel antennas lately and I am impressed.

Cheers...

8. F4FYJ

Hi every body,

Thanks for all replies.

Here is my setup:

Left New Comet HR 14 ,I can drive.

On right old alf part of rotatif tribander 10/15/20 m dipole which was broken by Xynthia storm last year.

I can't drive

mob1z.jpg

mobb.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.