Antenna for AO-7 Mode A Downlink

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KS1G, Apr 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

With the extra RF from all the ops now sheltering at home flipping AO-7 into Mode A more frequently (although earlier pass today stayed in Mode B, we'll see for half hour from now), I need a dedicated 10M antenna. I've been using my 80-M inverted V with a remote tuner. Downlink is too weak to be really usable. So what are folks using? Simple wire or rod/tubing dipole, paird mobile whips, Moxon? Fixed orientation, or co-mount with sat antennas (keep broadside to the satellite). Anyone using preamps? (I may have an old ARR 25W unit laying around). I found an old AMSAT RS10/11 handbook, need to see what it says (RS10 has a MUCH stronger downlink, could receive it on almost anything).

73 Steve KS1G

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Luckily it was still in Mode B for the second pass today. In the past, I have used a simple dipole with the ends roughly East to West and have been able to hear it on passes that aren't marginal. I've never tried to listen with a whip but have an old 11 meter one here that I should probably trim and try it out just for the fun of it. During these times of WFH it might be fun to play around with some different configurations to see what happens.

K4BAD likes this.
  3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just use my G5RV Junior - which will not tune up for me on 10m - as a receive only antenna.

It seems to work just fine. The bigger problem is that both times I attempted Mode A, I was easily able to get in and see my downlink on the waterfall, but I was all alone with my thoughts. :(

WE4B likes this.
  4. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I dug out a 40M dipole I made for some NVIS work I'll trim for 29.450. Hoping it works well enough alone, or the neighborhood noise level on 10 stays low enough a preamp (found it!) helps if needed.

WE4B likes this.