Antenna Ends

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N6UM, Jun 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6UM

N6UM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ive heard of some clap type thingy that you can put on the end of your wire antenna. It creates a loop to tie on too without cutting the wire. Anyone know of anything like this?

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used these with 14 gauge insulated wire, but there are smaller sizes available if your wire is thinner -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFJ3GH1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used them with 2 inch dogbone insulators.

It is generally a good idea to use some kind of insulator at the antenna end, rather than trust the cord. For 18 gauge wire, I used plastic guyline tighteners and tie-wraps.

W4KJG likes this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I use cable ties to clamp the folded ends, not too tight until I have the length dialed in.

4. KI5OMM

KI5OMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Home Depot has some of these in the rope department. They are metal, about an inch long, and have a screw on each side that clamps the wires together tightly. Cheap to buy also.

5. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

A piece of plastic with a few holes drilled in it will serve as a (friction) antenna wire clamp ("clap":D), insulator and means to tie your rope. You weave your wire in and out of three (or so) holes.

Wire length adjustment couldn't be made easier.

If such is too difficult to make with what's at hand, DX Engineering sells them for a buck or two each.

[​IMG]

W4HWD, N6UM and AK5B like this.
  6. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you perhaps mean a wire thimble and a rope clamp? I have bought antennas that used ones like these on wire ends... (instead of the rope in the picture) They will still crush the wire insulation if you crank down too tight, but not cut/break the wire. They were smaller than the size below as they come in all different sizes. Have also used the 'simplex' version with one bolt and insulators as described above. basically, thimble or insulator will both work, just depends on what you are tying to it.

adc___duplex_wire_rope_clip_mastrant_guying_1.jpg

AK5B likes this.
  7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know the proper name for these, but we refer to them as a, "Bug". One nice thing about them is they won't rust. They are made out of copper.

Barry, KU3X

Attached Files:

• bug.jpg
      bug.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    AK5B likes this.
  8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use these. They fit 14ga insulated wire and hold tight.

[​IMG]

9. N6UM

10. N6UM

Would the fact that these are metal affect SWR?