Antenna Conumdrum

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KO7PAS, Jun 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

my QTH is New Mexico, bottom of the Rio Grande Valley.

what's a tree?

WA7ARK likes this.
  2. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

hey, pal, it's not my fault that you chose to live on the surface of mars ;)

local pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SM0GLD likes this.
  3. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done it four times with two different calculators. When I multiply 2.621 by 39.37 I get 103.18877.

4. NX3M

NX3M Ham Member QRZ Page

1 The best solution is to rough in the calculations and simply oversize the wire antenna.
    2. Next build it and mount it up in the air and use an antenna analyzer to find the resonant frequency (center) frequency.
    3. Shorten the wire lengths until you are in the center of the preferred band that you are interested. - Keep in mind that if you can't use the band (e.g. Extra Class), then it doesn't make sense to include it. Also there may be allocations (band plans) for your most frequency operating modes (e.g. voice vs CW) so center on your sweet spots of operation, not simply the center of the entire amateur band.
    4. Antenna height, Earth ground soil conditions, dipole direction, feed line length, feed line types (Twin-Lead vs coax), distance from metal objects (gutters, power lines, other antennas, ...etc) ,location of the antenna tuner / balun / EMC / lightning suppressor are all very important.