Antenna Analyzer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3SWL, Oct 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You must be one of the lucky ones because every single product I bought was defective or shortly after purchase was defective.
    Antenna tuner with swr power cross needle meter.. casing causing needle to not fully engage..
    Switching power supply lost voltage 3 months after purchase.. 4 months to get it back..
    DC power distribution strip..main 30 amp terminal defective..right out of the box..
    4:1 balun...shorted out due to water damage inside the casing ..
    I never had a track record with such poor results with any electronics manufacturer over such a wide variety of products and I spent 20 years selling electronics to the general public.

To clarify ..all of the purchases above made since I got my license in 2017 were brand new not used or second hand vendors.. that's why I went with the Rig Expert

2. KC3SWL

I havent had a problem with the display..it has been very clear and outstanding graphics for the tool it is

KU3X and KX4Z like this.
  3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

RigExperts are super handy. I wish I knew how I was getting 60m out of my windom but I'll take it! 80/60/40/20/17/12/10m ... no 15m or 30m unfortunately.

[​IMG]

4. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chris, Yes, I like the RigExpert analyzer. Great for tuning my antennas!

You are very close to HRO Delaware. Stopped by one time and when I left the store my car would not unlock. Seems there was so much RF floating around it confused the remote.

KX4Z likes this.
  5. KE8HSF

KE8HSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple MFJ products and have yet to have issues, my newest one is the MFJ-259C Antenna Analyzer. Hooked it up to an antenna that should be close to resonate with 100ft of RG-8X coax, and was showing an SWR of 1.3, Another ham who has a Comet hooked his up and he got a reading of 1.2, while another with a Rig Expert had 1.3. So going off of that I am saying my MFJ is right on target, if I have three different analyzers all within +/-.1 I call it good, even if there would have been say a +/-.2 or .3 difference between the three I would still say its close enough due to slight variances that may be in each meter.

My power supply is an MFJ, same with my portable antenna, and only issue I have had with anything I own from MFJ was with my antenna and that was due to me accidentally breaking the top two sections of the telescoping fiberglass mast due to carelessness back in August. Called MFJ and was able to order replacement sections.

W4NNF, N9CAV and K8AI like this.
  6. KC3SWL

haha I could live there at times. I'm always in just checking stuff out and once in awhile opening my wallet and saying ring me up please. Bound to be some RF there and New Castle County operations right across the street.

KX4Z likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations on your new toy. If you need that much horsepower in an antenna analyzer, good on you. Me? I find my old MFJ-259 (the original) more than meets my needs...and the poor little thing was bought a while back at a hamfest for 40 bucks... :)

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

More likely you're one of the unlucky ones. I've had a lot of MFJ gear, and never had a problem. There is no doubt they went through a rough patch about a decade ago where there QA was the pits, but appear to have really cleaned up their act.

9. KC3SWL

Well glad to see the folks with MFJ gear not having issues.
    I think the quality assurance team was on vacation when my purchases were manufactured, but lesson learned.
    I was surprised the RigExpert was on sale for less than an mfj so double good for me.
    To each their own on product and brand preference.

KX4Z likes this.
  10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

wise words.
    What is much more important is learning what the nuumbers mean!!
    Like, if your 80 meter antenna is off by 400 kHz, cutting off 1/16" at a tiime may be a slow solution

If you read 5 ohms 50 feet down the transmission line, it doesn't necessarily mean that your antenna is 5 ohms.