Antenna analyzer

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA2WBX, Oct 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA2WBX

WA2WBX Ham Member QRZ Page

any reviews on the rig expert aa-55zoom analyzer? Looks like a good one to me? Always looking for suggestions though! Tnx, wa2wbx

2. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have three models of Rig Expert analyzers, AA-35zoom, AA-600, AA-30.zero. All work great. I heartily recommend them.
    Antiscope 2 software works fine as well.

NH7RO and WA2WBX like this.
  3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

With RigExpert analyzers you can also export the data as a Touchstone file and use just about any antenna anlayzer software. I've got the AA600. Works fine, but there are some that like VNA's or similar. The RE analyzers are not 2 port devices and will not measure stuff past 5KΩ very accurately, but for SWR and antenna work that's pretty much irrelevant.

WA2WBX and NH7RO like this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I own the AA-230 Zoom and the AA-600. I would not part with either of them. They are great ! There is a little learning curve but it's not hard to learn.
    I don't remember if the AA-55 Zoom has TDR? If not, consider getting the 230 Zoom since it does. You can find faults in transmission lines with it. It's helped me out of a jam more than once.

Either model, you won't be sorry.

Barry

N5CEY likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I liked the RigExpert analyzers. I bought a CA500 only because the Ukraine was having difficulty with Russia when I was ordering my analyzer and there was a time when getting parts from the Ukraine (for another Ukrainian product I use for another hobby) was difficult. If purchasing an analyzer today I would probably choose a Rig.
    However, the tension between Russia and the Ukraine has not totally abated.

6. WA5CB

WA5CB Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought an AA-35 ZOOM from Amazon.com in Aug 2018. It quit working and when I contacted RIG's US warranty provider PNC Engineering I was told that because I purchased this from Amazon that it would not be covered under warranty. Watch where you buy from. Amazon sold it for a third party.

KU3X likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve heard many stories like this regarding Amazon. Between these stories and their money losing free delivery plan I’m thinking folks will gravitate away in droves shortly.
    Some of their third party suppliers are pretty flakey.

8. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

The big box stores are racing them to the bottom in customer service. Walmarts near me are going down hill just as fast.

HRO sells Rig Expert. Check to see f theirs have a US warrantee.

9. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an AA-55Zoom that I purchased from DX Engineering. I perfer this analyzer over the others I've used (borrowed) in the past because of it's ease of use, graphical interface, size and weight, low battery requirements and built-in help.

I'm a new Ham and having an accurate and easy to use analyzer has helped me get and stay on the air with a variety of antenna's.

It's also taught me about antenna's, feed lines, matching, swr, etc.

I purchased mine on sale but would have bought it even if it was not on sale.

KG5NFK likes this.
  10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good point. I think purchasing one off of Ebay is the same, "No warranty support !" I purchased both of mine from HRO and the warranty is in fact supported if purchased from HRO and most other REAL ham stores. Just ask the question when making your purchase.

Rig Expert does have a state side location for performing warranty work. You DO NOT have to send it back to the Ukraine.
    Barry, KU3X

NH7RO likes this.