Antenna Analyzer Selection advice requested.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K6AQV, Sep 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB4SYP

KB4SYP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to add to what has been said ... the NanoVNA is a lot of capability in a very small FormFactor. Can put it in my Pocket and use it all afternoon trying to coax Antennas into tune. (i.e., the internal Battery lasts for hours) and it is not as shock-sensitive as its diminutive size suggests. Found it really fast to use after getting used to it, and the GUI is v. helpful when tuning up with another Antenna or Band. The newer Nano has a larger screen, and is a little easier to see. The Software available online makes it even better ... Good Luck!.

2. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel like I am late to the game. I am considering buying a NanoVNA but confused due to multiple types and knock offs... I would like to get the one with the larger screen, F or H? Do I need to get a separate cable kit to connect to BNC and PL259 connections? what is a reliable source? I notice R&L has a SAA2N model , They are local to me (in the same state) I would like to support local business but not sure if that is "the NanoVNA"

3. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I understand, "Tindie" is the place where the designer sells their version. Link. I'm not sure what R&L has, but it doesn't look like what is on Tindie, so I'm guessing it's a knockoff--but maybe that doesn't matter...? I'm guessing R&L is willing to stand behind what they sell?

4. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I was going to give them a call tomorrow. :)

5. KB1CKT

Lemme me know (or just post here :)) as I've been tempted to do likewise, been dithering on ordering via Tindie (which strikes me as an unknown vendor but giving funds back to the designer) vs R&L (good price, quick shipping but who knows if it's a knockoff or not).

6. HAMHOCK75

HAMHOCK75 QRZ Member

I have a friend who bought the one R&L sells. He recommends R&L and is very happy with what he got.

None of them are knockoffs. The developer in Japan does not manufacturer this version and encourages others to make them.

You might want to check out this link. I suspect that the R&L version is made by Hugen79 who developed the most popular version H.

https://nuclearrambo.com/wordpress/reviewing-the-new-nanovna-v2-saa-2-part-2/

7. KB1CKT

My R&L NanoVNA came today. Not sure I understand how to use it... but oh where were you 25 years ago when I was in college?

Been messing with a QRP Labs VFO kit, and has a bunch of filters. I found that the 21MHz lowpass filter wasn't working (no output). Hey... wired it up, no transfer. Hit the joints with an iron, VNA on and inline, and found the open joint quickly.

Wicked cool!

filter_debug.PNG

W7TCT and VE4AJM like this.
  8. VE4AJM

VE4AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

How would I test a tank circuit on an old tube transmitter using the nanovna? It's dead on only 80 meters and I would like to see if its a problem with that tuned circuit.

9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Remove all voltages and make sure there is no stored charge in the capacitors!

Connect a resistor from Plate to ground to represent the source impedance provided by the tube.
    Connect the VNA to the output of the tank circuit.

10. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got a Rig Expert AA-55 zoom and love it. Got in on sale at DX Engineering. Takes only 2 AA batteries (comes with 2).