ad: AlphaRF-1

Antenna Analyzer - recommendations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9KMS, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9KMS

W9KMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm now 3 years into the hobby - I have been considering some form of test equipment for analyzing the performance on my Antenna. I see a number of Antenna Analyzers out there (RigExpert comes to mind) but curious for recommendations on the best "bang for the buck"

2. N9CAV

N9CAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the MFJ 259 C. Has worked very well for me, bought from HRO cheaper than direct from MFJ. Others are good depending on your price range. Has many uses besides antenna.

K4AGO likes this.
  3. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love my Rigexpert connected to their Windows application. Easy to use, beautiful graphs,etc.

KU3X likes this.
  4. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as analyzers go, RigExpert is hard to beat. As to the specific model, it really depends on what frequencies you want to cover. I have an AA-600 because I wanted to cover up to UHF.

KU3X likes this.
  6. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends on what you are doing. A conventional, old style analyzer with a meter could be better for getting a quick look at an antenna. If you don't need data output to a pc, impedance readings, operation to 600 mhz, sweep measurements, etc. then something like a MFJ259B might be more suitable, and FASTER to use out in the yard.

7. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2 cents... I have not owned a Rig expert yet as they are a bit pricey for the one I want. I did spend $50 on the Nano VNA. I am very impressed with it and appears to work very well. It has saved me quite a bit of time in trimming home brew yagis and small mobile verticals. The one I have goes from 1khz to 900mhz. For the money I can not complain one bit.

Hope this helps

N5WTF

K8BZ likes this.
  8. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a RigExpert AA-55 Zoom from Gigaparts when they had a sale on them a while back. I wanted HF-6m coverage. The AA-55 Zoom is a good instrument, and I am pleased with it. The RigExpert provides the sign of the reactance whereas the MFJ 259 series does not.

I used the AA-55 Zoom on my 160m elevated inverted-L, my 6m dipole, and the 80m radiator I added later to my 160m inverted-L. It worked like a charm in all cases. I'm glad I have it.

All that said, the little Nano VNAs look tempting as well.

ND6M, KU3X and N5WTF like this.
  9. W9KMS

W9KMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What model NanoVNA did you find that works down in HF range? Only ones I am finding work 50 MHz and up.

10. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Like any other choice , mostly depends on you .
    What are your technical abilities , what do you want them to be ?
    Budget , future of interest in test gear etc. ?
    Without some back-round any response is just shot in the dark ;)

Forgot to hit post reply , so late ;(