Wanted Antenna Aluminum

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by K5NSN, Oct 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K5NSN

K5NSN Ham Member QRZ Page

2014-06-15 063837-68216.JPG Greetings-
    We have returned to the north east TX area (Weatherford) after 30 years in the Buckeye State. My wife (K8NSN) and myself (N8NSN) are looking for reasonablly priced aluminum pipe and tubing.

Finally found a non deed restricted acre to put up the long dreamt of (for me anyway) antenna farm. Part of this farm will support a 40 meter four square array of verticals. May eventually support a steerable pair of linerally loaded 80 verticals, as well.

I'm OK with scrap aluminum 11 meter antennas, as well, which can easily be added to at the base to achieve 33' verticals for the 40 meter array. Irrigation pipe, or...?

As well, if you're an HF ham in the area with interest in getting in on the build/project fun, it'd be great to hear from you. My main interests are Low Banding 160m - 30m, CW, and to some folks' dismay, AM Phone. Maybe even a little SSB...

Hoping to have some what of a comfortable shack put back together at our new QTH by Spring of 2017. Meanwhile, planning and implementation of the antenna systems can commence, most hopefully beginning late November, early December, 2016...

Any help in directing me to some aluminum stock would be greatly appreciated.

73-
    Jimmie

My email is good on QRZ page, however since we aren't scheduled to move in to Weatherford QTH until the second week of November, my physical address still reflects our Ohio QTH. We've been here living out of our suitcases since early July... yes, it took that long to line up a property suitable to our needs...
    Great to be here!

KB7UXE likes this.
  2. K5NSN

Well Thank You. We miss that shack... Hope to make one even better here in TX. Perhaps even a larger shack !

3. KB5SXC

KB5SXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Jimmie: It has been a number of Years since I was in the Fort Worth area, a bit east of Weatherford, On the north side of Ft. Worth on loop 820 near Blue Mound Rd. is Norton Metals, Check them. Assuming that this is for Verticals, ask for Architectural Tubing, holds up well to the weather. If for Beams ask for Aviation Grade, (handles the stress of flexing a bit better). Not having a current Fort Worth Telephone Book limits my advice, but there used to be hundreds of suppliers of aluminum tubing in the Ft. Worth Area, supplying the Aviation Industry of North Texas.

For Irrigation Pipe, ask around some of the feed stores in Weatherford, Aledo, or Decatur.

KB5SXC
    Leo

4. K5NSN

Great Leo - thanks for these suggestions. T6 / 6061 aircraft aluminum is what would work best. On the internet, a search of many variant headers over tubing only produced one local result, thus far - Discount Steel -
    Not sure where they get "discount" in their name...

I miss a place in Riverside, OH... Alro Steel. Being close to Wright Patt AFB, they always had great assortments of over runs and cut offs from Gov. jobbers on base. Anything from high temp polymer plastics, hybrid phenolic/nylons, steel, aluminum, plate, rod, angle...
    and sold at scrap weight !

Sure hope to find some place like this in north east TX. I'm always building something...

5. N5WD

N5WD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure you've probably found that Texas Towers in Plano has a good selection of antenna grade aluminum tubing, though it's usually not at a discount. But, they probably have what you need.

Have you checked out Ranch Supply? I'm not sure if there's one in Weatherford, but for sure in Lake Worth. They've usually got irrigation pipe at a reasonable price.

73 Wayne N5WD
    Lake Worth

PS: If you're looking for a new club to join, Tri-County ARC meets in Azle on the first Saturday of each month. Though the meeting starts at 7:00 pm, we usually meet at one of yhe eating places around here for a pre-meeting dinner at 5:00-5:15 pm. Check for the month's dinner location on the club's website: http://www.wc5c.org .

6. KF5GOI

KF5GOI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Jimmie, My name is Paul, KF5GOI. I live just North of Hammond Louisiana right off I 55, it runs through where it crosses I 12 down South anyway if your not familiar with this state the intersection will give a good start point. I55 runs North all the way to Jackson , Mississippi. I'm good on QRZ. so if you don't get anything local let me know. I'm starting to downsize, due to age and health. I have a lot of many items. I don't have as much irrigation as I used to. I know of folks who have from 2",3",4", diameter. 30 foot lengths. I'm sorting my smaller diameter tubing. 3/4" some 20' lengths left. I have 5/8" and 1/2" in variable lengths. As I mentioned I have a lot of misc. items. I mention this so before you buy new on a number of Items make a list and send by email. I may be able to help. If you are in need of enough it may make it worth your time to look into possibilities.
    If I do not have, maybe I can help by introducing you to others.
    Do it right and Safe!

Good health and happiness to you and yours.

Paul, KF5GOI

7. KW5JP

KW5JP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Jimmie, My name is Joel, KW5JP. I am a member of the local ham club in Weatherford. We will be meeting the evening of November 8th starting at 7:00PM at Cherry Park Community Building this next month only. The address is 313 Davis Street. My e-mail is good in QRZ so send me an e-mail and I'll provide directions if you don't have them. There should be several members at the meeting who can help with info and/or labor if necessary. The club's call is W5PC. The Website is www.w5pc.org/.

Hope to hear from you, ...Joel, KW5JP.

8. K5NSN

Great Wayne!
    My sister & brother in law live in Lake Worth. That's one of many areas we looked during our search for a home.

I still remember the main roads from back in the mid 80s when I left Texas. But things have grown a LOT !

Will certainly look in to the TCARC. May be able to catch the December meeting & keep the website visits going to see about that dinner.

Thank you very much for your kindness & the information.

Jimmie

9. K5YJB

K5YJB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Surplus oilfield drill stem?

K5NSN likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Structural tubing (NOT pipe) that can telescope is likely very close-by in the FW area. Lengths longer than 72" typically must be sent via expensive truck freight. When I wanted a few long sticks of tubing for a λ/2 20m vertical, I found it only a few miles up the road, and brought it home in my pickup truck.

There are several suppliers of aluminum tubing in Fort Worth listed here: http://www.yellowpages.com/fort-worth-tx/aluminum-tubing

Bryan WA7PRC

K5NSN likes this.
  11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.