Antarctica is in South America?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by KG2C, Oct 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KG2C

KG2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed that the contacts I have logged with RI1AND who is in Antarctica get listed under South America in the Worked Continents Award. Why is that? upload_2016-10-13_23-32-32.png

upload_2016-10-13_23-34-22.png

2. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they do not treat Antartica as a seventh continent, so I suppose they just lumped it in there somewhere. At least makes more sense than if it were in North America.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've always been of the opinion that Antarctica should be one of the "radio continents". It's not all that hard to work them, especially CW and Digital modes. There's almost always hams there, and it's pretty much equally far, latitudes being equal, for everyone to work them. If I can work Antarctica, anyone can.

Or have WAC be the traditional six, and have an endorsement for Antarctica.

Dave
    W7UUU

KQ9J, KG2C and KW4EK like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Worked All Continents award dates back to the 1920s, when there was practically no one in Antartica. That's why it was considered South America.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I Once worked an Icebreaker ship, right off the coast of Antarctica, I am not sure if it counted as the Continent of Antarctica or not!!??

6. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If the ship was within 12 miles of shore, it counts for QRZ Continents Award

Dave
    W7UUU

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But not for WAC or DXCC

K2HAT and W7UUU like this.