Another Rant! LOTW, I GIVE UP.

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K2WH, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well guess what. I found my password that I scribbled down on a piece of paper. Yippy yes? Yippy no. LOTW still says my username or password is NG.

So for the 5th time, I have removed the LOTW software from my computer. I think I'll give it a rest.

K2WH

2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Same for paper QSL, two people willing to lie can get around paper or LOTW. Only way I know of. Paper only one person can lie and print a foreign QSL, with LOTW, no real way one person can create QSLs so it is more secure. I've never heard of it happening, it's only a hobby.

3. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

You bitch and moan, rant and rave, and whinge and whine because it won't work.
    Now your panties are in a bunch because you've gotten tired of me pointing out that you might actually try following the directions instead of trying to ramrod it through your way.
    And yet you prove the point once again.

But don't worry, you'll never again hear anything from me about how you obviously aren't that smart because you won't RTFM.

4. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to change the subject.....I have been using LOTW for a while on multiple computers and under different callsigns and the only place I have ever had to enter a password is when logging into the LOTW website. I can move the certificates from computer to computer, upload and download with HRD with that same password I use to log into the LOTW website. The username is always the same, my callsign. If I remember correctly, the instructions tell you to ignore all the passwords & usernames as they are not needed, simply skip that step and move on (except for the LOTW website...you'll need your callsign and password).

Jon

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesnt mean it has never happened. If someone had gotten a QSL fraudulently, would they go around telling everyone?

If someone wants to cheat, they'll cheat. Digital certificates, postcards and passwords won't matter.

6. WA4OTD

If you want to cheat with Joe down the road that is one thing, if you want to cheat and have a P5 from Korea or any QSL that matters, not going to happen.....

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So basically the security and integrity of the QSL system doesn't matter, unless it involves a rare entity?

8. WA4OTD

No, integrity is integrity, I hope no one cheats, and LOTW took away a couple of methods to cheat but still left one but it takes two people cheating to do it.

9. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With over 25,000 USA users and over 52,000 total users in 339 countries it just CAN'T be that difficult IF you follow the initial setup instructions!

10. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a bit complicated but if you read the instructions you can get it working and it's well worth the perserverence. K7MH even posted a snippet of the instructions that tells you about the passwords but I'll condense it even further for you.

To log into your LoTW account, you need :

The third password you will see in the body of the email containing your certificate. This email will also contain your username (usually your callsign, and sometimes your callsign with a number at the end). You will use your username and the password to access the Logbook User Web site. This is the only place you can use this password. Once you have gained access to this site you can change your password.

This is not your ARRL password unless you change it to match. Also it is not the password you received on the Postcard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.