ad: vanity

Another Rant! LOTW, I GIVE UP.

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by K2WH, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you wouldn't get all the "snide comments" if you actually read and followed the directions.

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oohh, I'll remember you. Thanks for your help. :(

3. K2WH

Well, I didn't get any postcard! That file was sent to me via email as an attachement. So, now what?

K2WH

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe LOTW should be more user-friendly.

All those passwords and certificates and "digital signatures" and postcards and emails and so on are just for show. All of that is there only to delude people into believing that LOTW is better because it's more complicated.

The real security feature, and the only one that matters, is the blind QSO matching. If QSOs don't match, no QSL is generated. You never see the non-matching QSOs so there's no opportunity to falsely claim one you didn't make. Simple, and all the other "security" gyrations have nothing at all to do with that.

5. NN4RH

In fact it is easy to obtain a fraudulent QSL on LOTW.

Anyone could upload fake QSOs all day. On LOTW, they would be secure, digitally signed, fakes. But fake nonetheless.

If two people agree on the QSO details, and both of them upload the same fake QSO to LOTW, then a QSL is generated for a contact that never happened. It would be a secure, digitally signed, certificated, qualified for awards . . . but still fake, QSL.

All the certificates, passwords, postcards, and digital signatures in the world cannot prevent that. So why have it? For show.

6. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not so easy on LOTW, explain how you would do this? How would you fake a QSO with me for example or ham in foreign country.

7. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are 99, or 49,or 499 errors in your reasoning. Not that it's impossible. Just very very improbable.

8. NN4RH

Already told you how in that post. Two people agree on the QSO data - date, time, band, mode - then they both upload that fake QSO. The QSOs records match, and that generates a QSL.

LOTW has no way of knowing whether any QSO record is fake or erroneous or real. All it does is look for matches.

9. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but you need to read the directions! Asking if there is a different password other than your regular ARRL web site password tells me you have NOT read the directions. LoTW is really very easy, *IF* you follow the directions EXACTLY! That means printing them out, having them at your side while you perform each step.

Once you get it set up, it pretty much runs automatically with many different logging programs. While most hams open the box with their new rig, plug it in and turn it on and start operating without much attention to the directions, you simply cannot do this with LoTW. It is what it is.

..............Bob

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  10. K2WH

You are correct Bob. I'll admit, I hate reading directions because I am so smart but maybe not smarter than a 5th grader. Hi Hi.

K2HW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.