Another new guy, with more questions...?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by HELLCAT77, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Post UMO! Not that you need my approval.

I can see the KJ6DXW may not have known that his operation was illegal. Perhaps he will know better next time and will refrain from illegal activities.

QXZ too.

In my mind, I see members of these Public Service agencies, telling the new guy, "It is illegal, but it is cheap and nobody cares."
    Much like the moron at the CB shop telling the sucker standing at his counter, "It's OK, we can hook an Amp up to it, add some extra channels. Yes, it is illegal but nobody cares."

If the new ham thinks nobody cares he is wrong. We care, the FCC cares. The FCC cares enough that they will fine the guy with the radio, and the department involved $11K per day per radio.

Recently, it was quietly published that the Indianapolis Police Dept. was busted because they all had 2m rigs in their car, and were using them as a talk around and using bad language on them. On 2M, with no license. The Indianapolis Police Dept. Still has these radios in their cars. They went out as a group and got Tech tickets and it is back to normal business with these radios.

Now these guys are licensed and it will be imposable to get rid of them. Is this the kind of Ham we want? Not I.

Look, here is how you test the waters, IMHO:

If you want your ticket for the sake of Ham Radio, meaning because you are a radio enthusiast, you want to experiment and you want to experience all of what radio has to offer with-in your interests, Then ham radio is for you.

If you want your ticket solely so you can play Police Officer, Fireman, Logger, Construction Worker, CERT, Weather Spotter etc. There are better radio services available to you. Ham radio may not be for you. You will find many like yourself, but you will be ostracized.

If you ever intend to use your radio illegally, you don't belong .

If you are interested in RADIO you will be very welcome.

Now, I am going to take my diplomat hat off. I was using it with-out certification but it is OK...Nobody is enforcing those rules. :D

I'm much more comfortable being an ass. :D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. KA9MOT

Another very informative post. I wish I could speak so eloquently and with as much knowledge.

3. KJ6CLX

KJ6CLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why cant we all just stick to the topic of helping "HELLCAT77" choose what radio to buy instead of begining a cat fight about something that has almost nothing to do with chosing a first rig.

Hmm can we be adults and settle this peacefully?

4. KA9MOT

The question was answered very well 3X by the 5th post. Problems only started after the 6 day old outlaw ham gave his advice. Poor advice as well.

Thread kinda went to hell in a hand basket at that point.

OP has good info about his question. He also has the added benefit of knowing how some of us feel about illegal operators.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First, Hellcat77 - you won't have any trouble finding hams on VHF and UHF in the Twin Cities, unless you live in a hole of some kind. I have most of the repeaters in the area programmed into my rigs, so I can scan while driving through the cities, and there is always something going on. I would recommend a good dualband radio, unless you want to go the all-band route, because I actually hear more up there on UHF than on 2 meters these days. There are a few really high-level repeaters that people can work from all over the area, and they tend to be busy all the time.

Outside the Twin Cities, it's a crapshoot. In Wisconsin, there's a huge network of linked repeaters on UHF that covers most of the state. Miinnesota has the 'Superlink' but I don't hear much on it, and it doesn't cover Rochester or this part of the state. Most hams in Minnesota are on HF.

As for the modified radios - this always results in a fierce battle every time it comes up. I can understand how a volunteer firefighter might think it was OK to modify a ham rig, and we hear all the time about how the city can't afford radios, but it is plain illegal. If the FCC finds out about it, the agency you represent will be fined a fortune - it will likely bankrupt the place! It's also illegal for you to do fire company business on the ham band, whether you have a license, are a volunteer, or not! If you are firefighting you MUST have an appropriate commercial radio - not a ham rig.

We're not talking about 'hand slaps' or 'good, better, best' here. FCC considers this a serious violation, and the commercial radio folks are always happy to turn in violators, as are many hams. If people keep violating these rules, FCC may well impose restrictions on hams, or add requirements that make our ham gear unaffordable.

Besides, you'd be nuts to bet your life on a ham rig. They aren't built for the kind of environment a firefighter works in. If you want a single rig that will do both, buy an older commercial HT and get it programmed for both ham and public service frequencies at the local radio shop. That's perfectly legal, as long as you don't conduct business on the ham frequencies.

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not correct. Ham transceivers are not "type accepted" at all, at least the transmitter part. The receivers are certified the same as a scanner.

But "certified" radios are required for most two way services, such as land mobile, marine and GMRS, etc. If using a ham radio, there is no certification. Therefore it is a violation of the rules to use that radio in a service that requires certified radios.

Modifying a transmitter does not change it's "certification" since it never had any. The only radios that are illegal are certain CB types being pawned off as "10 meter" radios, or "export radios".

Joe

7. KA9MOT

Howie,
    The difference between the 2 is that the FT-8800 is a true dual band. Meaning it can transmit and receive on both bands at the same time. Like having 2 radios in one box.
    The FT-7900 is a dual band but you can only use one band or the other at the same time.
    For me, it is worth the extra $100 but your needs may be different than mine.

I would spend the hundred bucks and have something that would meet your needs should the need arise (Satellite work, crossband) then not have what you need. Resell would be higher as well.

Power Supply.

The rigs you are talking about will require around 10A, but here again, you are better off planning for future needs here and spending a few dollars more and getting more then you need. I recommend at least a 25A power supply.

I apologize to you for taking the focus of your post in new directions.

Steve

8. W1WDW

W1WDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll tell ya what KC0REY, if you or anyone else wants to continue your personal attack on me, do it in my thread http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=227674 instead of making all veteran radio amateurs look bad in this poor guy's thread. All he wanted was some info, if you felt the need to attack me, there are other ways of doing it. Feel free to PM me or pay me a personal visit too if it'll make you feel like the bigger man..

9. KA9MOT

Whats the matter? Truth hurt?

10. HELLCAT77

HELLCAT77 QRZ Member

Thanks again for the great info guys, I'll be standing by until the flame fest burns out up here.......:->

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.