Another HOA antenna recommendation thread...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WS7M, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WS7M

WS7M Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all,

I've looked at most antenna threads and even a few for HOA hams. Most seem to focus on hiding the antenna which of course is a reasonable thing to do. Currently I have an end-fed wire that works but I'm hoping for something better.

I am looking for a different type of recommendation. In my specific case I have a space behind my house where I could if I get crafty place a HexBeam or even a 43 foot vertical. Now most of you will probably say "Move out of the HOA". Well that is a plan but it doesn't help me right away.

In the case of the HexBeam I'd have to keep it below the roof line of my house to keep it hidden from the street until either I can plant some trees to hide it or at night I could crank it up some. The concern I have here is that the times when I'd really like to use it, weekend, I'd have to keep it low and based on where I'd have to mount it that would mean the house blocks the east path. South, West, and North would all be fine.

Also with a HexBeam I would be looking at 20m to 10m which as the sun goes down 20 begins to die off so about the time I could put the beam up above the roof the band probably won't be the best.

I am also considering a 43 foot vertical. For this I would probably end up going down into a small ravine that is probably 10 feet lower than my location for the HexBeam and there I could mount the vertical and lay as many ground plane wires as I'd like. My concern with this approach is I'd have to go "lower" to hide the antenna down in kind of a small ravine and also around some cottonwood trees.

As a really radial third alternative I guess I could try to put the HexBeam in the location of the vertical. It would look a lot like parts of the trees but it would be noticeable to some people.

If you were in this situation what would you try?

2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The vertical with as many radials as you can snake around your yard.

NS8N likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Vertical user here. When cndx were better I thought about taking it down in favor of a hex beam but not now. I use an HF6V which is only 24 or 27? feet tall and I'm very pleased with it. I guess a 43ft vertical might do a smidgen better but I seriously don't think so. Mine is roof mounted and I have power lines in front of the house which a taller antenna might have a problem with if it were to blow over.

4. WS7M

Cool 2 vertical votes! Like I said the place I'd have to go with the vertical would be 10 feet down in a small ravine but there I could put out about 10,000 radials if I so desired because not a sole goes there.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What I was getting at was that you might not have to go down into the ravine with a shorter vertical. I'd stay out of the ravine if at all possible

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If not a sole goes there, then I guess nobody walks there!:)

The issue with a 43' vertical is the only band where it's both resonant and might match coax is 60m. Nothing against 60m, but it's not even a band you mentioned. All other bands it's a terrible match for coax, so needs a unun and a remote tuner unless your coax is extremely low-loss, in which case an "in shack" tuner should work okay.

The remote tuner might be fine if you power it through the coax and if nobody ever walks back there (otherwise it can be vandalized or stolen pretty easily).

KP4SX uses a Butternut vertical I think and that's resonant and a match for coax on all bands it's designed for, so no remote tuner required. I've owned the HF2V (80/40m vertical) and HF6V (6-band vertical) but never owned the modern HF9V. It might be great, I just never tried one. The earlier models have been around for decades and are very good. They do require radials, and the more the merrier.

Having it installed 10' below the level of your house probably won't mean much at all on the lower bands, might mean something on the higher bands like 10/12m, but those bands are mostly "gone away" lately anyway and may not come back much for several years. I'd shoot for somethng that works on 20/30/40m these days.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Another HOA antenna recommendation thread....

Nooooooooo! :(

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can do stuff in HOAs.

I lived in one, temporarily, and had dipoles in the attic, then gained access to the town house roof (huge at 40' above ground, these were all 3-1/2 story town houses) by leaning an extension ladder against the fire escape ladder at midnight and just going up there to install more stuff. Nobody ever mentioned it, nobody ever complained, and they worked okay. Not beams on a tower, but okay.

There are a few large HOAs that actually specifically allow amateur radio towers and antennas, right in their By-Laws: One is Sun City West, in Phoenix. LOTS of hams there and LOTS of towers! And the whole place is an HOA. I guess it was built by a ham, although I think it was built by Del Webb and I've looked and looked and couldn't find any verification he was ever a ham. Maybe just a nice guy.:p

9. WS7M

New
    Another HOA antenna recommendation thread....

Nooooooooo! :(

Would it have been better if I'd called it "Yet another HOA antenna recommendation thread..."

WZ7U likes this.
  10. WS7M

Well not our HOA. I was inactive when we bought and wasn't thinking... sigh... Our HOA has even tried to do away with direct TV dishes and those little network antennas for WiFi internet. Of course that didn't fly to well and a residents attorney shut that down pretty quickly but they are sort of control freaks and most are so old and blind they'd probably never see an antenna. They hire a firm to drive around and look for covenant violations!

If I was feeling mean I might just order and put up a big tower and beam and wait for the complaints... LOL It would probably cause a few strokes in the neighborhood. If I wait until right after the HOA spends money on the road repair they probably won't have the money to hire an attorney to go after me. But then again I'd have bigger problems because my wife would probably join them!