Another ham in the family

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KG7WGX, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, after watching my excitement for HF operation for a year or so, my spouse studied for and passed her General exam today.

Scored 100%, too, which was probably the result of around a month of evenings reviewing the exam guide.

I'm new to the hobby, so I really wasn't much of an Elmer. She had the desire to learn the material, and she did it with determination and hard work.

Her background is accounting, not engineering, but she did just fine.

So much for the need to expand Technician privileges.

Now I'm going to have to share a station with her... ;)

KG5THG likes this.
  2. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats to her! At least when you want a different station, she'll understand!

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats as well. You'll have to get one of those dual rigs like a IC7610

4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have to justify radio related purchases. I have to buy two :D. Karilee is the other extra in the house.

5. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

She said she did it to stop club members from suggesting study aids she should use or classes she should go to so she could get her General.

I think she was kidding...

At any rate, the rig we have lets you use the dual VFO's to remember filter settings and mode as well as frequency, so we just leave VFO A set in the CW portions of the bands and VFO B set in the SSB portions. Then she can just tap A/B to quickly switch to SSB without messing up the CW settings. I don't use the SPLIT feature, so this works out nicely.

Like many transceivers, the KX3 can be a little intimidating. The dual-function buttons and menu aren't all that easy without some study. And I made it worse by adding the PX3 and the amp.

I'm glad she is getting some enjoyment out of the hobby. It's nice to have a "partner".