Another box of junk - I'm done

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Dec 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave

That really sucks. I'd be bummed out.

I need parts from one. If you part it out, let me know. Need the choke. The crystal cover is a big buck item. btw

My friends navigator ended with a bent chassis due the transformer weight and inertia damage.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You really MUST know what you're doing to ship boatanchor radios. I've successfully shipped Heathkit DX-100B (120 pounds properly boxed) and other massive radios over the years. NOT easy and NOT cheap and NOT for wannabe sellers with no clue.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1BR likes this.
  3. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well. if you get stuck with it I hope you will be able to get it restored. They are rare and very neat CW transmitters. It would be worth the effort/

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

That definitely sucks. Worse, what's to prevent this from happening again, that is, the same seller shipping irresponsibly?

I wish there was a reputation score on QRZ, kinda like the score you get on eBay. Doesn't fix everything, but someone with a poor score, or zero experience would be a "watch-out" situation. We have "Verified", but that doesn't tell you anything more than you're probably dealing with the person licensed with the call.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Filed a Paypal claim for a simple-but-just $40 adjustment to replace the broken tubes. I didn't push for more. I'll have 2-3 hours on the bench to make it right - my biggest concern being the "stuffed VFO shaft".... that's not so much a "part that broke" like the tubes - it's more of a "gotta figure out what to do"... haven't dug into it yet. I don't want to do much until Paypal resolves (or doesn't).

I realize he's an old guy. I get that. But that doesn't mitigate that I'm SICK OF LOUSY PACKING JOBS, and getting rigs sold as "works great" that in fact arrive needing to head to the "radio hospital" first.

Dave
    W7UUU

AF7XT likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s not my place to do that and make a post about it.

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But Dave specifically discussed how he wanted the radio packed and apparently the seller agreed to do it, but failed to do so. It isn’t just a simple case of ignorance.
    There is the sticky thread for calling out bad sellers or buyers (or complimenting good ones). Not a score, granted, but I always search it before doing a transaction.

N1VAU likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I have shipped many boat anchors. You need to "make" custom cardboard inserts and pack the whole thing in suspension between two boxes like you're trying to protect a shipment of eggs from being broken during transit. Protecting the face of the rig means lots and lots of space and using reinforcing cardboard to ensure the face doesn't have any opportunity to come into contact with the outside wall of the box AND in such a manner that no packing materials could be crushed up against the face of the rig. Everything should be rock solid and nothing should be able move around freely inside the double box arrangement whatsoever. Using bubble wrap and peanuts to achieve this objective is a big joke. Might as well just slap a label directly to the rig and mail it just the way it is.

So do it right, or don't do it at all.

In fact, I think someone should do a You Tube tutorial video on the proper way to pack boat anchors for shipping and post it in the swap meet as a sticky.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    N0TZU likes this.
  9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you pay thru paypal on a credit card? That's another layer of protection. I had a bad ebay deal once. They sent totally the wrong thing. Ebay agreed that the owner only had to refund (Less shipping) if I spent $$$ shipping back the item. ($80 total loss) PayPal said to deal with ebay for the refund. My CC refunded me almost immediately.

10. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That sux Dave :(.

Too bad I don't have any boat anchors you want because I'm a OCD packager! It's because I used to pack high end audio equipment up for shipment from the repair shop I worked at. Like $5-10K high end!

I'm surprised people don't complain that I over pack! ;)

I shipped a 44lb Kenwood 940 to a QRZ buyer recently and he was estatic with my OCD shipping skills!

Sometimes stuff gets damaged anyway but double boxed stuff equals paid insurance claims.

Point being, I understand why you're giving up, can't say I blame you either, but some people DO know how to pack things proper.

W7UUU likes this.