ad: GNOHF-1

Another box of junk - I'm done

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Dec 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's it - I'm DONE with trying to buy boat anchor radios that need to be shipped. I swear the packing skills of people are so incredibly in decline it's just beyond comprehension.

This time, it was a Johnson Navigator transmitter that was listed here on QRZ a week or so ago. Been wanting one for years - they're kind of hard to find in fact. Nothing special - it's essentially a Johnson Adventurer with built-in VFO. Not a "Novice transmitter" in the sense that when it was made, Novices didn't have VFO priveleges. But that's what it is, by today's standards.

I specifically asked that it be double boxed, packed tightly with at least 4 inches of tight packing around all sides, and especially the VFO side of the rig. I also specifically asked that the cabinet be filled with a tight pack of tissue paper or a roll of paper towels unfurled and tightly packed around the tubes. I asked these things for a very good reason and made it very clear in my email to this seller.

So what does this seller do??? He wrapped a double layer of thin small-bubble bubble-wrap around the transmitter, then just tossed it in a large box with peanuts!!! That's IT. No double box, no face protection, no packing inside.

Needless to say the 20+ pound transmitter happily tossed and turned and twirled and slammed and bounced and jostled around in the loose sea of pink peanuts from there to here.... and what the hell is it with folks who think a turn or two of thin bubble wrap is going to break the fall of a heavy metal box? Can they not visualize the simple physics at play? Can they not see that a heavy metal box in a pile of loose peanuts is going to toss about like crazy?

And yep - you guessed it. VFO got stuffed and won't turn; tubes broken inside; just another wreck of parts to put on the "need to repair this rig I purchased that was packaged like crap by a clueless seller".

I paid via Paypal and plan to file a claim but it will just get rejected I'm sure as "please file a claim with USPS/UPS/FEDEX" (ask me how I learned that).

That's it - never again. Three strikes I'm out (could be more but I'm calling this number three in the last year at any rate).

Beware - people just have no clue how to properly pack stuff anymore.

Dave
    W7UUU

KI4AX, N8VIL, AC0TX and 4 others like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear about that, what a shame.

This seems like a case of a Bad Seller, and he probably ought to be called out in that forum. Agreeing to the packaging you requested, then not doing it and having the radio destroyed as a result is either gross negligence or malicious. The only exception I can see is if he paid and relied on someone else to do the packing and that person did a dishonest job.

Is there really anyone now who doesn't know from sad first hand experience how roughly packages are handled in modern shipment these days? Watch a video of the automated sorting and loading to see how they drop down shutes, get punched by sorting fences, tumble onto other conveyors, etc. And then there is the human handling...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No, he did the packing. Sadly, his own ad says "It is priced at $150 firm, plus $30 ship costs to box well , with lots of bubble wrap to ship safely to all 48 States of the USA". He OBVIOUSLY has no clue about just how much bubble wrap it takes. Nor any clue about why a double box is the only proper way to go. Nor why the inside of the cabinet should be stuffed tightly with soft yet firm packing - I prefer tissue paper.

He also wanted me to pay "Friends and Family" which I REFUSED to do, so he then asked that I pay him more to offset the fees.

Just plain clueless or worse: doesn't really care.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

And USPS/UPS/FEDEX may say it was not packed properly to begin with, so no coverage.:mad:

5. W7UUU

Yep. The buck stops with this lousy seller and his complete lack of understanding about how packing should be done. I doubt any claim will go anywhere.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. VA3VF

It's very upsetting, and it transcends the lost money sometimes.

The PayPal "Friends and Family" is becoming quite a ...hmmm, how can I put it...

Here in Canada more and more sellers are switching to bank eTransfers, away from PayPal. It's very easy and free, but I wonder if another 'benefit' is that the money cannot be recovered once received.

N0TZU likes this.
  7. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's pretty much what my prediction would be too. I still use FedEx most of the time but had some dealings with them when I used to build (and ship) custom fishing rods. Only had a couple break but I ended up eating it and had to build the customer a new rod on my dime. Part of doing business I guess. That's really a shame more care wasn't taken for such a nice piece of history. Live and learn, right?

8. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to know who it was, it will come up with a simple search. An "old school" short call Extra from Oklahoma.

9. VA3VF

Assuming you have all the exchange in writing.

One way I can see PayPal getting involved, is if emphasis is put on the 'packaging agreement' or understanding, showing that it was not fulfilled.

Mentioning the attempt to circumvent PayPal's fees by using "Friends and Family" may help as well.

The USPS/UPS/FEDEX option is a non starter, I think.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    AJ4GQ likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that, Dave. The gentleman in question is somewhat elderly and maybe not accustomed to 'modern' shipping. I hope it all works out.