Another Attempt to Scam using Hijacked UK Callsign....GD1MIP

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AD6KA, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning I received an unsolicited email from and “alleged” UK ham trying to sell me a “Brand New” “Collins Rockwell LPF Filter”.
    OK, the callsign and name check out, but the email address listed for Andy Morgan GD1MIP at QRZ DOES NOT! THIS email came from: andymgd1mip@gmail.com

I of course emailed the REAL GD1MIP and asked him about this, if it was real. Western Union? Product Acceptance Tag? Seems fishy to me!
    The REAL GD1MIP, ANDY, HAS POSTED AT HIS QRZ PAGE THAT HIS CALL HAS BEEN HIJACKED AND TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT DEALING WITHthe email: andymgd1mip@gmail.com .

Poor guy....some no good ***bite is dragging his call &
    good name through the mud! That pisses me off!!!

Gmail blocks most IP Header tracing, but I was able to get part of the IP address fron the header sent to me as 209.85.215.193.
    IF YOU GOOGLE THIS IP ADDRESS: 209.85.215.193 YOU WILL SEE THAT IT HAS BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH MANY, MANY SCAMS IN THE PAST!
    Also 209.85.xxxxxxxx is NOT a U.K. IP Address!

So I replied to that Gmail account pretending I was interested:
    Him to me:
    MY EDIT: PLEASE NOTE: THE “702” AFTER THE UK COUNTRY CALLING CODE OF +044 IS A CELL PHONE REDIRECT OUT OF THE UK, OFTEN TO WEST AFRICA!
    Me back to him

Well, he is insisting on Western Union payment and suggested I get a "friend" to go to the bank and WU for me. No Way!
    Well, no new emails yet, but it's 6:00 AM in West Africa....
    wayyy to early for the low lifes to rise from a night of drinking
    and womanizing their ill gotten money away.

AS you can see, I am trying to get a real bank account number out of this guy and then have the account shut down. Yes, we scambaiters DO have contacts in the banking industry and law enforcement (less so) who are delighted to work with us.
    Unfortunately, SOME countries are less than speedy than others about investigating accounts, but the situation IS imprroving with international pressure.

I am also looking for someone who has or can download a trial copy of "ReadNotify Software" so I can trace his IP Address using my header. Write me at my ZED email if you want to help.

THINK I CAN DO IT???
    I have closed down bank accounts of 13 scammers so far, and know of scambaiters who have closed hundreds of scammer accounts..
    73, Ken Pendarvis AD6KA/5R8GQ.....Never Give UP!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold.
    - Klingon Proverb

2. WD9GYF

WD9GYF Ham Member QRZ Page

And to think I paid $160 for an HF-380 without the Heisenberg Demodulator:D

3. AD6KA

The REAL Andy Morgan, GD1MIP, has placed a notice up on his QRZ page:

4. VE3FWF

VE3FWF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Scammer update.

That scammer has been busy. He tried to convince me that he had an Heathkit SB-650 for sale using Andy's name.
    Is there anyway we can get these guys arrested!

5. AD6KA

Very highly doubful. But we an make their lives miserable and waste their time.Think about it. Every minute he is dealing with YOU pulling his leg or just leading him along, is time being spent away from a REAL victim.

You can also report these scams to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), a joint
    tasking of the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), who keep databases
    on these guys, their IP's, etc. It's a great LE resource.

Also forward all letters received from these guys WITH FULL HEADERS (Important)
    to the Email provider (G-mail, Yahoo, etc) and complain at [B]abuse@gmail.com[/B], [B]abuse@yahoo.com[/B],
    [B]fraud@gmail.com[/B], etc in order to get their email accounts shut down. Sure, OF COURSE it only takes a minute to open another free email account. But it DOES waste their time. Scammers are basically lazy and often lose valuable information when their email accounts are taken away or jacked.

It's a BIG help if you can look them up, find out where they are and their true IP's and that of their gang. Sign up for and download a free 30 copy of Read Notify Software at http://www.readnotify.com/.
    This WILL trace the IP and location from those email services that *supposedly* block IP's, such as Gmail and others. It sends a small invisible tracer tag to the scammer along with your email. It will generate a report for you about that oarticular (and each email you send) including such info as the IP Address of each and every person they forwarded it to, when they opened it, and wvwn how long they had it open. Send this info along with your reports.

6. HS0ZIB

HS0ZIB Guest

WD9GHF - you were 'had'. Mine had the demod unit and it was a real bargain at $200 ...

Seriously, as I replied on another scam thread, look at this phrase in the scammer's email:

... so do get back to me ...

for whatever unknown reason, that phrase is very commonly used by scammers. See it in any unsolicited email and be on your guard

Simon

7. AF6RR

AF6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations.. You have managed to identify an IP address at $WeWriteSearchEngines..

NetRange: 209.85.128.0 - 209.85.255.255
    CIDR: 209.85.128.0/17
    OriginAS:
    NetName: GOOGLE
    NetHandle: NET-209-85-128-0-1
    Parent: NET-209-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    RegDate: 2006-01-13
    Updated: 2006-06-01
    Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-209-85-128-0-1

OrgName: Google Inc.
    OrgId: GOGL