ad: M2Ant-1

Announcing the QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 19, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all,
    If you feel that you should be eligible and encounter any trouble applying, please send us a support ticket by clicking on "Contact" and then "Help Desk" from the homepage and we'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks for your patience and for your applications! We're very eager to get these Welcome Packages into the right hands. And thanks to everyone for the resounding support of this program. It makes us here at QRZ feel proud to be a part of the Ham community.

Jaime

KJ5AEQ, KK6IPR, KC7ZXY and 1 other person like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... decent program for QRZ to be offering! BZ.

3. KX1G

KX1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Very creative program, QRZ/Giga. I hope you are listening to the feedback so that if you decided to extend the program beyond October 31 you can make improvements.

Here's a few other improvements I would suggest:

1. Make it a DMR radio. Most new hams are getting started there.
    2. Give a discount on an HF radio.
    3. Backdate the program another 90 days. (to May 1)

KK6IPR likes this.
  4. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

(I'm not alone to think AR should/could not be discovered by means of VHF/HT)
    Thank you for erasing 4 pages of what I consider total nonsense in one comment.

Oliver

K9XR and KA2FIR like this.
  5. K5BOU

K5BOU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea. Make sure we advertise this program to the new ham!

6. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bravo to QRZ and GigaParts. This is a great idea and one that will have a real impact in getting new operators started.

7. KC1RQC

KC1RQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m still not able to get it keeps saying that I don’t qualify I wonder if they just ran out ‍♂️

8. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is the HT made, China?

PY2NEA likes this.
  9. AK9R

AK9R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. It's a rebadged TYT TH-UV88 with firmware changes.

10. N6TCE

N6TCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a Laurel VE. Last week I has a total of 22 new Amateur Licensees total between two sessions. all have been forwarded this message from your forum.

I salute you. I have in the past spent a little time begging for donations of new and used radios for new Techs and upgraded Generals. one of our new Techs is a person that had just turned 8 years old.

Not just getting people licensed but on the air, and the fact they drag the average age of currently licensed operators back to closer to 65 does help. I read a few years back the average age was in the mid 70's year of age.

That number hurts us all. I wish the average age of licensed operators was about 55.

K6QBQ, N7XCZ, KK6IPR and 1 other person like this.
  11. N6TCE

N6TCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does it matter?

I know of no handheld radios which are made in the USA.

N5RGN and KC7ZXY like this.
  12. W2EV

W2EV Ham Member QRZ Page

The Rochester Amateur Radio Association had a similar program. They found that providing an HT to new licensees made members feel good but didn't accomplish the intended result with new licensees. The program was discontinued. I hope the outcome here will be different.

Ultimately, anyone studying for a license already knows the cost of the hobby and can independently afford a multi-band FM HT. They are dirt cheap, after all.

What is the "secret sauce" to retaining and growing new licensees? Getting VEC's to actively connect new licensees with local clubs and getting local clubs to have interesting meetings and activities. Also to a lesser extent, getting local clubs to "cross pollinate" by cross-posting announcements of club activities so that newly associated licensees can gravitate to what interests them the most. It is time that we realized that although our hobby is technical in nature, it is social-by-fabric.

KK6IPR, KL4R, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  13. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a nice idea!
    Should help increase qrz membership & Gigaparts profits!

Why not call it what it probably is.. A TYT TH-UV88 with hobbled frequency coverage,
    Re-badged with a vanity box & radio sticker.

Free price i would think is just a loss leader for after sales.
    Screenshot_20220823-114501_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20220823-114805_Chrome.jpg
    Bargain basement Radio, For the starter ham with $25 to burn!

N5RGN, W5CJA and AK9R like this.
  14. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

It could matter as of TODAY
    Whatever... no politics, sure

Oliver

15. K4ROJ

K4ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow... just read about this and I'm a 31 days old Ham. Could've put that radio to use :(