ad: Radclub22-1

Announcing the QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 19, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program.jpg

We are pleased to announce the QRZ New Ham Jumpstart, a program that will help new hams get on
    the air faster than ever. The program, which is jointly sponsored by QRZ and GigaParts, will provide a
    FREE, New Ham Welcome Package to eligible applicants. Among the goodies in the first edition of the
    Welcome Package, we are including a brand-new dual-band handheld transceiver, the Explorer QRZ-1,
    along with a host of other sponsor-supplied goodies.

Purpose of the Jumpstart Program
    This program is designed to promote amateur radio to the masses, helping to eliminate a possible
    barrier to entry by providing new hams with their first radio. The Jumpstart program will provide the
    QRZ-1 radio to new hams who meet eligibility requirements. No purchase or subscription of any kind is
    necessary. The welcome package is FREE to those who qualify.

The QRZ-1 is a brand-new, entry-level, dual-band ham radio transceiver that has been custom
    manufactured for QRZ and GigaParts and is available for sale at GigaParts. We worked with an
    established radio manufacturer to make a special edition radio just for new hams. Our involvement was
    much more than a re-labeling of an existing product, because several important improvements have
    been made. For starters, the radio firmware has been modified to make user interaction straightforward
    and easy to understand. In addition, the user manual was rewritten in English (not simply translated) so
    that new hams may grasp its operating concepts clearly.

Eligibility
    New hams who have just obtained their first license from the FCC may apply for a welcome package.
    Applicants must apply within 30 days of the license grant date per the FCC records.

The eligible ham must have a QRZ user account and be able to log in and apply for the award. Certain
    types of identification, including a photo ID, will be required. This information is not shared or
    exchanged with any party and is used only to validate eligibility under this program. Additional shipping
    charges may apply when shipped outside of the contiguous 48 states.

This program is available exclusively to USA licensed amateur radio operators.

You Can Donate It
    Some new hams may not need a new, entry-level radio and might instead enjoy a full year of a QRZ
    Premium subscription. If you opt for this choice, you will make the radio available for another newcomer
    and help us extend the program into the future. It's an easy way to "pay it forward" that others will
    appreciate. If you are interested in this option, please send an e-mail to Support@qrz.com.

Limited Time Offer
    The program ends on October 31, 2022. If you are or about to become eligible, please keep this in mind.
    In all cases, the New Ham Welcome Packages are subject to availability and therefore the program may
    end earlier than expected. QRZ assumes no responsibility for the failure to deliver New Ham Welcome
    Packages, even if an application was granted. The packages have no cash value and may not be
    redeemed or exchanged for other QRZ products and/or services. QRZ may, at its sole discretion and at
    any time, change the contents of the package.

Signup Instructions
    We will begin accepting welcome package applications on August 19, 2022 at www.qrz.com/jumpstart

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2022
    K1OE, WP3MD, N7EKB and 117 others like this.
  2. KO4MAO

KO4MAO Ham Member QRZ Page

defintely could have used this as a new ham!!! Thank you for helping all the young people who want to be a ham radio op but don't have the money.

KE8USY, VA3MIU, N5XMV and 9 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

An amazing program!

N5XMV, RATTLESNAKEUK, KI5WOK and 3 others like this.
  4. WH6LU

WH6LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great program !
    Hopefully more NEW HAMS get introduced to HF !! ( Having fun )...

VA3MIU, N5XMV, W9BRJ and 3 others like this.
  5. AE5II

AE5II Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the price to pay it forward ... I'd like to help out.

Kelly

N5XMV, KG7VG, KF0KJH and 4 others like this.
  6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

You can use the Contribute button on the QRZ Home Page (lower left).

Any amount that you contribute will go towards funding new ham packages. Please write in the comments section of your contribution that you would like for funds to go to the Jumpstart program.

Please note that the contributions are not tax-deductible. We don't qualify as a charity, but that absolutely won't stop us from helping new hams get started in the hobby.

73 -fred

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2022
    WP3MD, KM6SJO, N5XMV and 13 others like this.
  7. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice! Another gem by QRZ!

WP3MD, N5XMV, WHYDONATE07 and 4 others like this.
  8. KF0GVX

KF0GVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool. I think a lot more new hams will know what to do once they get there callsign and have a LOT more fun with the hobby.

KC7HDE and KC7ZXY like this.
  9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great idea, but offering free study guides and a free pass for one testing session would go alot further attracting new hams. I know of several folks who buy W5YI technician books for kids interested in the hobby, and when they pass their test, the local club has a free HT for them.

K9XR, W2CSI and N4GST like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s tremendous! Thanks Fred!

KK7ICD likes this.
  11. KD2ZWM

KD2ZWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I will try and get this. Thank you very much as a new ham!
    Edit: My license was activated on the second this month, but for some reason it is saying im not eligible.

N5XMV likes this.
  12. K2CR

K2CR Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like a TYT TH-UV88. Is it still compatible with Chirp?

IS0HXK likes this.
  13. KO4TXV

KO4TXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love it! I wish that I was still in my first 30 days (I am at 10 months now). That would have helped me tremendously, being on an SSDI budget.

14. VA7STV

VA7STV Ham Member QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

This issue has been corrected and you may now apply. Thank you for your patience.

KN6VTO, KK7IIM, KO4TXV and 4 others like this.
  15. KD2ZWM

KD2ZWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much, It works now. 73s

TOREILLY56, W2CSI and KC7ZXY like this.