ad: M2Ant-1

Announcing QRZDroid - for your Android Device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3CQC

VA3CQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spotted this in the app store last night! I had no idea it was just released.

Either way, a fantastic app, thanks all!

2. NJ0F

NJ0F Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey what about the rest of us stuck with IPhones? :-(
    73 NJ0F

3. K4TGK

K4TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred, thanks for this. Any chance you could add the swap meet to it?

4. KE5WDI/SK2023

KE5WDI/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Downloaded in about 30 Seconds on my HTC Inspire. Works great. Thank you for this App.

5. IZ7QEB

IZ7QEB Ham Member QRZ Page

Android is Better! ;) I love it! hi hi hi
    Tested on my Samsung Galaxy SII (GT9100) .. Full functionality!

6. MI0JLC

MI0JLC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

excellent programme, working 100% on my Samsung Galaxy Ace II.
    many thanks to the coder(s)

7. YB2TJV

YB2TJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Fred,
    when we tried to share the content of the page, if we share via SMS (Messaging ) it is OK, but when we share to facebook, if we put any email in its page, so the domain of our email that will appear to be shared... for e.g: I'm using gmail, when we shared into FB, only gmail domain appear.
    Why this is happened ?
    But this is a great application!!
    Hope you got what I'm trying to say..
    thanks ...

8. WA7SHP

WA7SHP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job! Runs nicely on the DroidX! 73

9. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Thanks for all your comments.

A few notes about compatibility. There are may versions of Android. When an app is designed, the developer must specify the minimum version of the Android API is required. Right now, the app specifies API version 3 as the minimum. The latest version is 15 so that means that devices with version 3 or higher should work.

I'm new at programming in this environment and that's why the About page says 1.8beta. We're not done yet developing this app. Next week I'm going to try a few lower API levels to see if they will work. I'll also try and increase the resolution for larger tablets. One problem: I don't have an Android tablet, just a phone, so testing may require that I buy one. I have a friend with a lower level Android phone, an older HTC, which may be sufficient for testing the lower APIs.

Also coming soon will be a tie-in with the QRZ subscriber database. All QRZ subscribers, regardless of their subscription package, will see the ads disappear. It will require that you provide your QRZ username and login but after that the ads will be gone if you're a subscriber.

Regarding iPad / iPhone / IOS

I don't have an iPhone but I do have an iPad. I'll have to learn to program in a new environment (as I did with Android) to get this going, and I'll need some volunteer testers, which shouldn't be too hard to find. I'm not going to buy an iPhone myself since the cost is prohibitive and since I already have a good plan with my Android phone on Verizon.

Finally, it is disappointing that some folks scream bloody murder when they see ads in an app. QRZ does earn a few cents when an ad gets clicked, and we couldn't do what we do without a source of income. That's life.

10. KB1SSA

KB1SSA Ham Member QRZ Page

yea, I am bummed too. It is not compatible with my Samsung SCH-M828C according to Google Play. Drat!!

11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not Fred's fault. Amazon chose to splinter Android on their device. Phone makers too make their own changes to Android. It will ultimately kill Android.

12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

Works great on my HP Touchpad with Android 4.02 CM9.

13. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang it! So much for my blame Google defense! I don't see any reason for complaints about the ads. 3/8 of an inch on the bottom, where it really disturbs nothing. This app works wonderfully on my LG Optimus S running Android 2.3.3.

Thanks Fred!

14. K8SI

K8SI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So...how about a version for the BB? Due to my work situation (high security) can't use a droid because none exist without a camera.

15. VK7XX

VK7XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Adds cost ME money... they use MY data and data costs. Unlike some countries, data cost money in Australia. Is that detail enough for you ???

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.