ad: AbAuRe-1

Announcing our First Annual Youth "Dream Rig" Essay Contest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6PSE, Jun 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N6PSE

N6PSE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Press Release by the Intrepid-DX Group

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

First Annual "Dream Rig" Youth Essay Contest.

The Intrepid-DX Group is a US based 501 C(3) nonprofit organization that promotes Amateur Radio activities in developing countries.

Announcing our first annual Youth Essay Contest-Prize is a Dream Rig!

The Intrepid-DX Group recognizes the importance of including Youth in our great hobby because they are our future! We are establishing an annual Dream Rig Youth Essay Contest to learn the suggestions of young people for attracting other young operators to Amateur Radio.

What is the Prize?

The prize is a factory fresh ICOM IC-7300! See the features here:

https://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7300/default.aspx

Contest Rules:

1) Two-page Essay answering these questions: A) What are your amateur radio goals? B) What can we do to attract more youth to amateur radio?

2) USA Amateur Radio License Holders Age 19 or younger.

3) Promise to keep the radio for one year, not flip it, trade it or sell it, and to use it on the air.

4) Send essay in text or MS Word attachment to intrepiddxgroup@gmail.com by July 31, 2020.

5) You may alternatively mail it to: The Intrepid-DX Group, 3052 Wetmore Dr, San Jose, CA 95148, USA.. Must be post marked by July 31, 2020.

6) The winner of the Essay Contest will be announced on our Website and Facebook page on August 10, 2020.

All submissions become the property of the Intrepid-DX Group and may be published.

Questions: Send an email to pauln6pse@gmail.com

Follow us on our homepage www.Intrepid-DX.com and/or our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/The-Intrepid-DX-Group-180857615282553

KN4NSZ, N3AWS, N4VTI and 7 others like this.
  2. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonderful idea!

PY2NEA likes this.
  3. W5IOH

W5IOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a youth and i'll be submitting

W1YW and PY2NEA like this.
  4. BH6PJL

BH6PJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great!

5. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

«Intrepid-DX Group... promotes Amateur Radio activities in developing countries»
    Hope lots will submit from Brazil, country where youth determination and where incentives are unclear, radio associations, telecom authorities... what do they seek? Prize is of greatest value here. Winner still gonna have to pay for, or construct, a decent antenna, provided got the place and the right to put it up. May this contest make some elmers more proactive also. Grabbing the keyboard is the very first step, long way to first and regular QSO.

VU3FPT and R2DYM like this.
  6. PY2NEA

PS forget Brazil, winner won't be able to pay import duties on the value of the brand new transceiver, converted to R$, at the worst rate ever. Again, transceiver alone doesn't make an operational whole station. Definitely, forget the country where I'm living, too much hassle, more a nightmare to become a ham than a dream, whatever youngsters might write, and in english, sure! they don't have a clue. Did I mentioned online exams for licensing are still stalled, despite all the authority announcement.

VU3FPT likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Aren't you a joy to be around. You need to spend the day in your closet thinking, "what if I AM the reason people don't want to get into amateur radio". Write an essay on the answer you discover and what you're going to do to stop being that person. Also you need to learn to read before you reply...if you did you would see it's a USA license only but I digress.

W8HA likes this.
  8. PY2NEA

Sure, US youngsters only, okay!! am I egocentric, my mistake!
    I'd call CQ much more often than I do, in a different situation (my case is not at stake here)

Admin, for deleting all my posts in the thread (how you do that?)

VU3FPT likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The Intrepid DX Group has set a wonderful precedent that other (outside US) clubs can use as a model to foster their own youth initiative(s).

I am sure they would be DELIGHTED by 'copy cat' efforts!

Chip W1YW

PY2NEA likes this.
  10. KE8JNU

KE8JNU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely entering!

11. PY2NEA

Yep, and brazilian prize would be 5m x RG8... maybe 20m, who knows, if they planned saving $ for a challenge after their Carnaval craze.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't imagine that a Brazilian Club couldn't pool resources for an inexpensive SDR transceiver, for example.

Chip W1YW

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak for the Intrepid DX Group, but IMO, this is an effort to get in touch with a next generation of radio amateurs and what we old timers can do to --enable-- that new generation.

It is no small admission that we don't have a 'youth' perspective-- but fully understand why its essential that we do.

Chip W1YW

14. N6RWC

N6RWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Would like to enter, how to enter? I am 12

W0PV and KN4LGM like this.
  15. K9ZN

K9ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be applying, GL everyone :)

W0PV likes this.