andy's ham radio linux install help!!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KE0SMF, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0SMF

KE0SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

this is on a Compaq presario cq56 running windows 7, i have downloaded "Andy's ham radio linux" finally got it to do a live boot from the USB, i have entered the login of "ubuntu" and left password blank, now i am stuck at screen with the follow prompt.... ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ don't know what to type to continue?? the screen is like a command prompt screen, i did not get any kind of graphical starting selections.

2. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with that version of Linux, but I am aware that Ubuntu has a wide range of Amateur Radio software packages...and they offer a Graphical LiveCD.

I'd suggest Lubuntu to get the most out of the machine. If you prefer a nice(r) looking desktop - Ubuntu or Ubuntu MATE.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuHamsPackages

3. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can try...
    Code:
     startx 
    ... and see if GUI will start.

I've only heard of this particular distribution, but never run it. Here's a link to their Sourceforge site that may give you some guidance.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

KF5FEI and KB3VWG like this.
  4. KE0SMF

ok, will give these a try.... "andy's Ham Radio" boots perfectly with no issues on my other lap top. the compaq seems like it is trying to boot into the programmer screen and not the actual OS like it does when live booting on my Dell.... Just tried it again and it WORKED!!! if it does this again i will take a photo and attach it............... thanx for all your help. 73

KB3VWG likes this.
  5. KE0SMF

this morning i start playing around with this linux, and when it booted i got the following screens, i was able to use the username: ubuntu, and password of "just press <enter>", then it went to the second screen (smaller and yellow font) and typed "startx" and it came up with no ill effects, did not get the graphical penguin logo for log in. seems like it does this kind of boot at random. this distribution is basically just UBUNTU that Andy (KB1OIQ) has loaded the ham radio software onto
    IMG_20180925_131248812 01.jpg IMG_20180926_125757957 01.jpg

6. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

What happens when you type "live" as the instructions on the screen state?

7. KE0SMF

once i type "live" it will continue to the second screen. and on the second screen is when it asks for the username and password (at the top of the pic). this computer is about a 2008 or so old computer. other times it boots correctly with the Penguin Logo.

8. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

What I did is let the live disc (USB or DVD) get to the first boot prompt (where it lists "live", "memtest", etc.) and just let it sit there; don't touch a thing on the keyboard. Eventually, about 5 to 10 seconds in, it will automatically boot to the login prompt (with Tux the penguin). Type in "ubuntu" as the login and press Enter again (no password). It should go directly to the GUI from there.

All the apps will be listed in the so-called "Start" menu (lower left corner of the screen), including the choice to Install to the hard drive or a USB drive.

I've gotten Andy's HRL installed on about 8 Dell Latitude D 830 laptops and dual booted to also Mint 64-bit. The idea is these laptops be used with our ECOMM group portion of my local club. They can send and receive traffic via fldigi and flmsg (IC-213 forms, etc.) from station to station and much more. Andy's HRL is used for that. Mint is for everything else; surfing the Web, e-mail, creating presentations, etc.

7-3 de KC8RLU.

9. VE3CLG

VE3CLG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are like me, NEW to Linux, try the Linux lite .It is similar to Ubuntu but it is made like windows. There are 64 and 32 bits ver 3.8 the newer ver 4.0 is only 64 bits
    73s de ve3clg

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should setup a password.

Default may be none, End user should have one.

A fixed username is bad enough, No password is a hackers playground. ;)

Have Fun.