Anderson Powerpole Strain Relief

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W0KDT, Mar 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just started using Pps to hook things up and one of the things I don't like about them is that there is no strain relief short of adding their proprietary hood.

So ... this may be old news to some but I have not seen it mentioned:

PXL_20210331_175256416.jpg

Hot melt glue makes an easy strain relief, as light or heavy as you want.

WD6USA and N8SMG like this.
  2. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sometimes have used two different diameters of heat shrink - a smaller piece over the wire, followed by a larger one over the rear of the connector body. Not sure it's worth the effort, though.

KU3X likes this.
  3. W0KDT

Yeah, I like heat shrink too. Once in a while I even remember to put it on the wire(s) before I assemble the connector.

K0OKS, KM1NDY, WA9SVD and 4 others like this.
  4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

What about the millions of Molex connectors that plug into the back of your favorite rice burner radio, that don't have a strain relief? Talk about pickin the nit!!

W9WQA likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Power poles are like a VW Beetle: easy to repair. Which is great, because you have to do it often!

N0TZU and W9WQA like this.
  6. W0KDT

Yup, there are lots of sloppy, cost driven designs out there. Having worked on aircraft and on race cars and having led spacecraft electronics programs, my attitude towards this kind of thing is apparently different than yours. In this specific case, a trivial amount of effort yields a better product. Not much more effort, in fact, than your snarky post took you.

K6EFA, W9KEY and N0TLD like this.
  7. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I too spent a few years in avionics and electrical control systems on Douglas DC-8s and 9s in Long beach, and at Beech in Wichita, partnered in a Gen Av avionics facility for a while, and was director of engineering for a large Korean private label manufacturer for nearly a decade. All of which, along with a buck twenty five will get me, or anyone else, a cup of coffee.

My point was simply that you were complaining about one pretty small issue, while ignoring the much larger picture that has existed for at least 40 years. Molex must not be all that condcerned, although it seems they do offer a vinyl boot for some of their connectors.

As for a possible "solution" I too would opt for a length of flexible vinyl tubing or a couple layers of progressively shorter shrink, as mentioned in an earlier post. As the Hot melt is ridged when cool, I would consider it simply trading one potential problem, for another, neither of which I feel would be very likely considering the typical application.

KP4SX likes this.
  8. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use this method as well. Shrink tubing is cheap especially when bought in bulk, and it works well. I usually cut the larger piece that fits around the PP bodies just wide enough to get the job done, approximately 1/2 inch; you can still see the red and black on both sides of this shrink "band" holding them together.

When I first started using the Powerpoles, I watched a few YouTube videos on how it's done. There was one I remember where the video also demonstrated his technique for strain relief: a process of wrapping some heavy thread or kite string-like cordage around the wires, then covering it with shrink tube. Looked very clean and professional when done, but seemed a tad extensive for me. But to each their own.

Brando

WD6USA likes this.
  9. KG6BRG

KG6BRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using PP's for 10 or 12 years now. I think they're a wonderful way of standardizing all my 12 volt radio gear and accessories. Using a proper crimper, I've never had one fail, at the crimp or anywhere else along the cable.

KB2SMS, WA9SVD and AC0GT like this.
  10. W0KDT

In general, I have seen occasional problems/breaks at the point where the insulation begins. This is a weak point for flex and, more importantly, a likely place for damaged or scored conductors due to stripping. Some inserted contacts have a section that crimps around the insulation and provides support, but the PowerPoles do not. That's what the hot melt does for me ---- keeps that weak point from flexing.

But I really didn't make the OP because I wanted to debate failure rates or failure probabilities. It's just an idea that works for me; costs nothing, takes almost no time, and may help in some situations.